Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse & Internet Disabled Suddenly - Virus?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 St.Tantrums

St.Tantrums

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 06 August 2011 - 04:06 PM

Hello I was hoping that somebody could help me?

My partner's PC appears to have contracted a virus of some description this morning and I'd like to get some help/info so we can sort this out.

His system info is:
Antivirus: Avast Premium
Malwarebytes Pro Edition

Symptoms:
* All USB ports stopped working.
* USB Optical mouse Stopped Responding - connecting using both a regular USB mouse and an old school mouse doesn't change the situation.
* Unable to connect to Internet - Firefox, Chrome or IE will not connect.
Note: Oddly the USB keyboard is still operational - has no idea why considering the other ports are dead.

Steps already taken:
* Managed to run RKill [through LOTS of persistant tabbing!] - however that didn't find or stop anything malicious.
* Currently running a full system scan with Malwarebytes - it's taking forever as he's got 1TB of data to scan through.
* Will follow up with a full system scan with Avast when Malwarebytes is finished.
* Will follow up with a full system scan with TrendMicro Housecall - should the Internet become enabled once more.

His questions are:

1. Is what's happening typical of a virus or could this be caused by something else, e.g. changing a BIOS setting or alike? He would like to know because he hasn't changed anything per-se, however this DID seem to coincide with a new influx of official Microsoft Updates. Was wondering if something could have got corrupted during the installation which could have resulted in this? Would he still be able to check in the BIOS on start up to see if anything's wrong, or is it too late/would that do more harm than good?

2. Would it be advisable to run the PC in Safe Mode until he's fully scanned it and removed any viruses or malware? This website does sometimes suggests doing so when attempting to clear a virus, however he's not sure if it'd be beneficial or not and whether it'd make any difference in the success of his attempts to clear this?

3. Any ideas on what's gone wrong or what to do if both Avast, Malwarebytes [and Trendmicro Housecall] don't find anything wrong after the scans?

4. Any other pointers or suggestions - he's basically followed the virus removal guides to the letter that he's found on this site so far... if there is anything else he could try, he'd really like to know.

Thanks for reading and hopefully some of you could shed some light on what's going on. I'm utterly frazzled right now because I've spent the day searching online from my house and relaying the slightest bit of info to him via the phone! I'll see what his progress is in a minute and then get some sleep.

~ B x [posting from his account]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 06 August 2011 - 10:14 PM

Welcome aboard Posted Image

* Will follow up with a full system scan with Avast when Malwarebytes is finished.

Let us know.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 St.Tantrums

St.Tantrums
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 07 August 2011 - 08:34 AM

Hi I'm back again.

I got a sheepish phonecall this morning and as it turned out there was 1 nasty found in Avast, but that was taken care of [again through lots of tabbing and swearing]... however it would appear that the source of the problem was a program he'd downloaded in order to Jailbreak his iPhone the day before. Both of us were very surprised that RKill didn't find it as it messed with both the PC registry files and this is what RKill is supposed to find? *shrugs*

Anyway, it disabled the USB and Mouse functionality in one fell swoop and messed up the best part of 48hrs trying to fix it.

As it turns out it was myself that suggested looking in Device Manager to check on the status of the USB drivers - and that's where we discovered the problem. He used a third party manager [which he previously had installed on his PC] to digitally sign the drivers once more because for some reason he was unable to do so normally via the official Windows channels. Then, uninstalled the program causing the problem.

Quick reboot, et voila - working computer once more. Big whoops on his part, and *someone* totally owes me dinner for helping him sort this out!

Currently going through the process of updating and re-running the Malwarebytes/Avast/Trendmicro Housecall sequence, which WILL be followed by a new System Restore point being created!

Thanks for the interest guys and maybe this'll help someone else.

~ B x

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 07 August 2011 - 11:10 AM

Thanks for posting back :)

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users