Posted 06 August 2011 - 04:06 PM
Hello I was hoping that somebody could help me?
My partner's PC appears to have contracted a virus of some description this morning and I'd like to get some help/info so we can sort this out.
His system info is:
Antivirus: Avast Premium
Malwarebytes Pro Edition
OS: Window 7 64bit
* All USB ports stopped working.
* USB Optical mouse Stopped Responding - connecting using both a regular USB mouse and an old school mouse doesn't change the situation.
* Unable to connect to Internet - Firefox, Chrome or IE will not connect.
Note: Oddly the USB keyboard is still operational - has no idea why considering the other ports are dead.
Steps already taken:
* Managed to run RKill [through LOTS of persistant tabbing!] - however that didn't find or stop anything malicious.
* Currently running a full system scan with Malwarebytes - it's taking forever as he's got 1TB of data to scan through.
* Will follow up with a full system scan with Avast when Malwarebytes is finished.
* Will follow up with a full system scan with TrendMicro Housecall - should the Internet become enabled once more.
His questions are:
1. Is what's happening typical of a virus or could this be caused by something else, e.g. changing a BIOS setting or alike? He would like to know because he hasn't changed anything per-se, however this DID seem to coincide with a new influx of official Microsoft Updates. Was wondering if something could have got corrupted during the installation which could have resulted in this? Would he still be able to check in the BIOS on start up to see if anything's wrong, or is it too late/would that do more harm than good?
2. Would it be advisable to run the PC in Safe Mode until he's fully scanned it and removed any viruses or malware? This website does sometimes suggests doing so when attempting to clear a virus, however he's not sure if it'd be beneficial or not and whether it'd make any difference in the success of his attempts to clear this?
3. Any ideas on what's gone wrong or what to do if both Avast, Malwarebytes [and Trendmicro Housecall] don't find anything wrong after the scans?
4. Any other pointers or suggestions - he's basically followed the virus removal guides to the letter that he's found on this site so far... if there is anything else he could try, he'd really like to know.
Thanks for reading and hopefully some of you could shed some light on what's going on. I'm utterly frazzled right now because I've spent the day searching online from my house and relaying the slightest bit of info to him via the phone! I'll see what his progress is in a minute and then get some sleep.
~ B x [posting from his account]