Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Harddrive was clicking now computer won't start

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 utty

utty

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 06 August 2011 - 12:49 PM

Hello

I was on my computer yesterday when suddenly it shut down. Before that I got a message that it was going to shut down in order to protect my computer.
Then when it restarted I heard a series of clicks coming directly from my harddrive. There were about 15 clicks then silence then about 15 more clicks then it didn't click anymore. I got the message to insert the system disc. I tried restarting it again and got the same clicks and the same message. So I inserted the windows xp disc and then it started looping. What I mean is that it would give me that option of how to start up in safe mode or last working configuration or normally etc. I tried all of these but it just keeps looping around. It looks like it is going to start with the windows xp logo and the progress bar but then it goes back to this message again. It doesn't seem to be responding to any of the F keys (F8 or F12 etc) As added information the clicking stopped after I inserted the CD.

Any ideas on what this could be?

Thanks again! You guys have helped me in the past and I am always grateful.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 utty

utty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2011 - 02:08 PM

I finally got some information after I was able to click on SAFE MODE

I got the following message

Windows was unable to start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

Please install.

However I am unable to do anything after this. I am unable to start from the operating system CD.
I haven't tried much because I don't know much about what I am doing. Any help will be appreciated

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,298 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2011 - 02:08 PM

Clicks emanating from the hard drive...usually indicate a physical problem with the drive.

I would be prepared to install a different hard drive.

Louis

#4 utty

utty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2011 - 02:13 PM

Hi Louis

Thanks for your reply. After searching around the net I am not surprised by your conclusion.

I think it is the harddrive too. I am fortunate in the sense that this computer is only used to search the net and has no important files on it.

I will let you know how all turns out. I think I have some extra drives around here.

I have just never installed a new drive before. Any ideas on what I can do to make that easier?

Thanks

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,298 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2011 - 02:23 PM

Installing a new drive is pretty easy...I found installing RAM much scarier when I first tried it :).

If the system is a laptop, the hard drive is acceissible by following the directions for removing the drive. My experience is that it's just attached to pins/socket which you just remove...then take the replacement drive and attach it in the same manner that the troubled drive was.

If desktop...just open the case, visibly locate the hard drive, note the two connections...remove those, replace the drive...close the case.

If the drive is PATA, set the jumper setting exactly as it is on the drive replaced.

There are no jumper settings to configure on SATA hard drives.

System manufacturer and model? If self-built, motherboard manufacturer and model?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users