Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connection Settings Won't Stay Set

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zakdan

zakdan

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 15 January 2006 - 11:46 PM

Systemax running XP Pro./SP2, Intel Celeron-D 330/2.6 GHz/256MB DDR333 PC2700 non-ECC Memory, Mini-Tower mATX Chassis w/250W PS/SIS651 Motherboard. I set up the dialer, no ISP software, w/eTrust Internet Security Suite.

My problem:
The dial-up settings in IE change on it's own, or won't actually "save" when told to "Apply".

I set everything up and when I click the IE quick launch, the dialer comes up and I select "dial" and it dials and I connect. I close IE and and the disconnect menu pops up and I disconnect. I am able to click the OE quick launch icon and the dialer pops up and I select "dial", it dials and logs onto my ISP, and retrieves my email. The problem is that once I go through this cycle, the next time I try to access IE, nothing happens. I check my settings and they have changed from "Always dial my default connection" to "Never dial a connection". I have set, reset, and saved the settings over and over with the same results. I have deleted/redone the connection several times. I am logged in as the administrator, I reinstalled IE from the XP disk. I have made sure that the settings are set the same in IE as in OE. I consulted with my ISP, netdoor.com, and they have made sure that all of the settings are set up correctly. They walk me through a cycle and the same thing occurs over and over. They can not understand why the settings will revert back to "Never dial a connection".

Please help!!

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 16 January 2006 - 09:12 AM

I suspect that this is a problem with your eTrust Suite. They have some troubleshooting tips on their website. The troubleshooting tip, Sig Download Error - Connection Offline, Dial Out to Connect shows that the firewall portion can modify your dialup connection. For that particular problem they have a registry fix as follows:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ComputerAssociates\Anti-Virus\AutoDownload "ConnectAlways"=dword:00000001

The 1 in the dword value indicates Yes, while a 0 would indicate a No. I realize that this is not your problem but it does show that the dialup settings are modified by that program. If you were to find that registry key it would be informative to know what it is set at.

Another troubleshooting tip for dialup users with connection problems is to uninstall/reinstall Dial Up Networking. That is easy to do and worth trying.

eTrust Knowledge Center is a searchable troubleshooting database.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 zakdan

zakdan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2006 - 01:06 PM

Thanks Leurgy,
I have to travell out of town today, so I'll try this tomorrow and let you know how it works.

#4 zakdan

zakdan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 11:45 PM

Thanks Leurgy,

I had another distraction from my task, so I've been away for a while. I have tried several things today, I deleted the IE connection that I made using the SP2 wizzard and ran the Inetwiz.exe from start>run. That didn't work.

The registry information:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ComputerAssociates\Anti-Virus\AutoDownload\Name=EnableManual\Type=REG_DWORD\Data=0x00000001 (1)

I ran hijackthis and here is the log file:
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 9:56:20 PM, on 1/20/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust EZ Antivirus\ISafe.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\tcpsvcs.exe
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\sm56hlpr.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust Anti-Spam\QSP-2.1.215.15\QOELoader.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVTray.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVRID.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust Personal Firewall\ca.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyexpr.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust EZ Antivirus\VetMsg.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZONELABS\vsmon.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqgalry.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\Lowell\LOCALS~1\Temp\Temporary Directory 2 for hijackthis.zip\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {549B5CA7-4A86-11D7-A4DF-000874180BB3} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FDD3B846-8D59-4ffb-8758-209B6AD74ACC} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RemoteControl] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SMSERIAL] sm56hlpr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] "C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Component Manager] "C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QOELOADER] "C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust Anti-Spam\QSP-2.1.215.15\QOELoader.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CaAvTray] "C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVTray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CAVRID] "C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVRID.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust Personal Firewall\ca.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MoneyAgent] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyexpr.exe"
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HP Image Zone Fast Start.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqthb08.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdat...b?1131522577609
O23 - Service: CAISafe - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust EZ Antivirus\ISafe.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
O23 - Service: VET Message Service (VETMSGNT) - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust Internet Security Suite\eTrust EZ Antivirus\VetMsg.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZONELABS\vsmon.exe

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 21 January 2006 - 06:38 PM

You will need to post that log in the Hijack This Logs and Analysis forum to let someone from our team review it. Board policy prevents me from commenting on it as I'm not a member of the team.

Go to Start>Run and type in msconfig. Under the Startup tab in the box that comes up uncheck WkUFind.exe. Also uncheck anything to do with ZoneAlarm as you don't want to have two firewalls running.

If you change the D_Word in that Reg Key you have there from Data=0x00000001 to Data=0x00000000 it may solve your problem. I'm not sure but its worth a try. You could also try changing Name=EnableManual\Type=REG_DWORD\Data=0x00000001 to AutoDownload "ConnectAlways"=dword:00000001. Again just a guess.

Edited by Leurgy, 21 January 2006 - 06:43 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users