Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Ultimate Stuck in start up loop

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nick19800

nick19800

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 06 August 2011 - 11:23 AM

Hello all,

I've got a bit of a problem and im kind of stumped as to where I can go from here,
Basically I was using an Acer 6290g laptop, Was streaming a movie from my Pc in the evening. The movie finished and my son decided he was going to switch the laptop off by just pressing the power button, bless him he's only 3 and was trying to help, Anyhow switched the laptop back on the next day and it just goes round in a boot loop, gets to the start up screen offering options to start in safe mode, last known configuration etc etc. It doesnt matter which option you choose it starts to load ie the little windows symbol appears with a status meter then flashes very briefly a BSOD and restarts and returns back to the start up screen.
I've tried repairing the boot files using a copy of Windows Vista Ultimate without any success, also the copy of windows is not found on the hard drive when trying to use the utilitys provived within the original Windows disc.
Now I dont really want to wipe the hard drive and reinstall a clean copy of Windows as there a few things on the laptop that I really would like to retreive which is why Im bowing to the mercy of the people who know a bit more than me.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Nick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 06 August 2011 - 02:28 PM

Did you try running the chkdsk /r command?

Hard shutdowns...may result in damaged files. Sometimes this can be overcome by chkdsk /r.

Louis

#3 nick19800

nick19800
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2011 - 03:03 PM

Im not entirely sure how to do that as I can't actually get into anything as it keeps restarting

#4 nick19800

nick19800
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2011 - 04:48 PM

It just dawned on me that there's a command prompt within the windows utility options so
I tried to run the chkds /r and it came back with disk is corrupted and unreadable.

Any ideas

#5 nick19800

nick19800
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2011 - 05:21 PM

Root cause found:
No os files found on disk

Repair action: partition table repair
Result: failed. Error code =0x579
Time taken = 9006 ms

This is the message i trceive when I try to use start up repair.

In the command prompt no matter what I try to run I just keep getting volume is write protected.

I've looked in the bios and it says something about the password being froZen on the hard drive

#6 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 06 August 2011 - 05:28 PM

On that same CMD you tried to run chkdsk /r try these commands one at a time.

"bootrec /rebuildbcd"
"bootrec /fixmbr"
"bootrec /fixboot"

Usually though the the chkdsk /r gives you that error the HDD is faulty, but try the commands anyways and see if it correctly repairs your partition table.

#7 nick19800

nick19800
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2011 - 05:42 PM

Bootrec /rebuildbcd came back with the file directory is corrupted and unreadable

Blotted /fixmbr was successful

Bootrec /fixboot was successful aswell

But Its still the same though so it may look like the hd may have died with the sudden loss of power when it was switched off

#8 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 06 August 2011 - 05:54 PM

Bootrec /rebuildbcd came back with the file directory is corrupted and unreadable

Well you have the Windows operating system disc, so you could always wipe it to see if it works before purchasing a new HDD. And on your first post you wanted to save some DATA that's still on the drive, here is a way you may be able to do it. http://www.cooldrives.com/saandidehadr1.html Basically you connect the HDD to another computer the same way you would an external HDD. Since your OS is corrupt, judging by the out come of the commands, there is no guarantee the DATA is still in a readable format.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users