Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pinguy distro

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ransomb

ransomb

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 06 August 2011 - 06:25 AM

:busy: I downloaded a copy of Pinguy distro & was disturbed to find I couldn't hide the system monitoring graphic on the desktop.Is there a way to do this or are we stuck with it?It gets in the way & I was not able to delete it or hide it & it's not clickabe thru it,what's a mother to do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2011 - 10:55 AM

I just downloaded it for the second time and still haven't tried it. If you don't get an answer before I come back with one, I'll see if I can find out.

Right now I have two cords of wood to stack and a tree trunk to move before I have permission (from the lovely and gracious Mrs. Stiltskin) to do anything else. So it might be a few hours.

#3 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2011 - 03:23 PM

What you're looking for is called conky. You can kill it on the commandline (killall conky.sh). If you don't want it to ever run again, you can either uninstall it, or you can stop it from loading and leave it there to play with it later:

1. Go to the menu, under System choose Control Center
2. Under Personal choose Startup Applications
3. Find Conky and remove the checkmark

OK, I tested it. I think I'll go to something else now that I see it's based on Ubuntu 10.04.

I also downloaded PCLinuxOS and another one (forgot what now; it's in the other room on a different machine), so maybe one of those will make me happier. I have to do something because I mucked around with some VirtualBox stuff and now the boot on this netbook stops right after it fails trying to insert some modules. It was a Peppermint install that was only 2 or 3 weeks old anyway. No big deal.

#4 leppinlenny

leppinlenny

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:48 AM

Thanks Mr.Brady,yeah I was the one that posted about Pinguy,had to open another acct. because age has caused me to fergit(my story 'n' I'm stickin' to it)Anyway I found how to bypass conky/or take the monitoring app. off the desktop.As for PC Linux,I used the Phoenix Edition & it's pretty kewl,I haven't tried the Unbuntu 11.04 since the stable version.I wasn't krazy bout' the beta so I doubt I'll install it or for that matter even burn a copy.

#5 Blueslyx

Blueslyx

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 20 September 2011 - 11:56 PM

I only joined this site so I could thank Mr. Stiltskin for his Conky answer.
That thing was driving me nuts.
I like pinguy, but half the words don't seem to be English to me.
I, like the other guy thought that Conky thing should have been
called System Monitor ... mainly because it is a system monitor.
So, THANK YOU, MR. STILTSKIN, for calming my calming my techno-road rage.
... now if I could just make them stupid folders on the left disappear,
I could leave microsoft forever.

#6 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 24 September 2011 - 02:30 PM

... now if I could just make them stupid folders on the left disappear,
I could leave microsoft forever.

Have you tried right click on a space between those folders and see if it gives you an 'options' menu? You might be able to get rid of it that way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users