Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSoD When Laptop was turned on.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kairya

Kairya

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 06 August 2011 - 04:43 AM

A couple of days ago, I turned on my laptop. A BSoD appeared, but I couldn't read the writing fast enough before it disappeared. After it took me to an option:
Launch Startup Repair (recommended)
Start Windows Normally
I chose the launch startup repair [because it was recommended] and it did a system restore to "a point when my laptop worked".
After the startup repair was complete, it restarted and after entering in my password, it took me to a black screen with nothing but my mouse. I wasn't sure on what to do, so I rebooted my laptop and went into safe mode. There I deleted everything in my recycling bin [about 5G in there.] and also deleted a few other things that I didn't need anymore. I also used CCleaner to clean some Temp files and to fix my registries. After I restarted the laptop again, and things were normal again.

Edit: I was just on my laptop to see if anything was wrong again, everything was normal, startup was fine, but the turning off took really long much longer than usual.

I'm wondering what was that, what made it happen, maybe what was it that fixed it [if it is fixed] and is there any more symptoms or anything left from it?
After all this, I've been afraid to use my laptop at all and was thinking about running combo fix, but I'm not sure if that'd help.

I have a Windows Vista Home Premium.
Its a Fugitsu Lifebook Series (Build: 6FEN2W0), 32-bit operating system.

Edited by Kairya, 06 August 2011 - 05:14 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jodav

jodav

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 06 August 2011 - 10:04 AM

A bluescreen is normaly an indication of a hardware failure, this could be a faulty or failing motherboard, hard drive, graphics card etc etc etc. But before worrying too much, it may be that a faulty or not compatible driver has been installed, or a driver has not installed correctly for some reason, or a driver has somehow became corrupt.

Think of a driver as a interperator to allow a hardware device to speak to software. Its a bit like an Englishman trying to communicate with a chinaman, they need a interpretor who knows both languages to become the middleman to allow effective communication.

So hopefully your system restore has reverted back to a good working driver for whatever piece of hardware was the problem, each hardware device needs its own driver to speak to a specific operating system (software).

Also sometimes it can be a simple matter of giving the motherboard a good blow out of dust with compressed air, although this is more likely on a desktop as opposed to a laptop.

You can never rule malware out for a bluescreen, although it is the least likely it can be responsible for corrupting a driver. I am not allowed whilst in training to comment too much on malware issues, but depending on what happens with your laptop from now on will depend on if you post on a malware section of this site.

Just sit and monitor the next few days, hopefully you have fixed the problem :) If it is OK after a week or so I advise you to turn off system restore, and then switch it back on again. This will delete previous restore points that will stop you inadvertentley reinstalling the faulty driver, virus or whatever.

Hopefully you have rectified the problem,
And hopefully I have answered your questions,
Good Luck
jodav :)

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2011 - 10:47 AM

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:
  • Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
  • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
  • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
  • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
  • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.
Louis

#4 Kairya

Kairya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2011 - 03:18 AM

Thanks for filling me in on some info Jodav. :]
I guess I'll just continue to use it once in a while and hope for the best.
If anything goes wrong, I'll just take it to a professional to see if there's a way to fix it.

Thanks a lot for telling me that hamluis.
CCleaner supposedly cleaned registrys that had a problem with them, so I thought it would help.
I never knew it could result in something so serious.
I'll keep that in mind and probable wont ever use any registry cleaners unless told.

Thanks again, both of you.
Hopefully this problem won't have have any aftereffects. :]

#5 jodav

jodav

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 08 August 2011 - 03:43 AM

Your more than Welcome Kairya, and do not be afraid to use your laptop, that is what its for :)
And hopefuly you have fixed the problem yourself :thumbsup:

jodav.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users