Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stumped

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 redsox25

redsox25

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 06 August 2011 - 03:23 AM

Hi guys, been a while since I posted here.

I just got a brand new laptop but I'm completely stumped. I'm pretty good with computers, but I have given up so I bring this to you guys.

I got my laptop, Asus K53E laptop ( Specs and what not: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i3+Processor+/+15.6%22+Display+/+4GB+Memory+/+640GB+Hard+Drive+-+Brown+Suit/2712297.p?id=1218346632191&skuId=2712297&st=asus%20k53e&cp=1&lp=1) about 2 weeks ago now.

I brought it home, at first everything seemed to working perfectly. But within the hour I periodically kept getting theses "Google chrome can't find a DNS server bla bla bla." This got pretty annoying pretty fast. Naturally I started troubleshooting.

First thing I do, change browsers. No luck. Next I do some dns flushes. No luck. I try re installing the network card's drivers. No luck. I connect via an Ethernet port and with only one exception I haven't had any issues with connectivity. That being said, if I wan'ted to be pined to one spot, I wouldn't have got a laptop.

Also, when I do run into this, usually refreshing the page a couple of times well fix it. If not, right clicking the wireless bars in the task bar and using the trouble shoot feature has fixed it every time. Usually window's blames the problem on a "bad wireless access point." Even though this is usually an easy fix, my biggest hobby right now is online poker and this just doesn't cut it. Note: Sometimes, not every time, I will see a yellow exclamation point over the wireless bars at the bottom. Note 2: The other day when I was connected via Ethernet cord, for at least an hour, the wireless bars at the bottom were showing the limited connectivity exclamation point on it but I had now problem with my connection.

Edit 3: I should also throw in that with the DNS coming up as an issues, one of the first things I checked was the TCPIP setting to make sure they were set to automatically retrieve the DNS server. When I saw that that box was checked, I tried changing it to use google's DNS servers. No dice on that ether.

Next I give Comcast a call (my isp provider). They walk me through a lot of the basis things I've already tried. Shockley nothing they suggest worked. Finally they send a signal out to their devices at my house (this was pretty much the one thing I wanted them to do) and all their systems are showing green. So I think the comcast devices are not the problem.

I'm now starting to think its a problem with my wireless router (I believe a netgear N150). I go into the it's settings but I don't really change anything. The only other thing I use my wireless for is my iphone and I've never had anything go wrong with that. Furthermore, before I got this laptop, my old laptop had no problem surfing the net. However at least on one occasion, I did find that when I lost my connection (or what ever is going on), it did tie down the network so much so that my iphone couldn't use it (also i do believe I was watching my roommate play black ops on xbox live {via Ethernet cord} and he had an uninterrupted connection). I don't know if that happens every time or not. Note: The wireless router is protected by a WPA2 personal Wepkey.

As for the comcast modem itself, I don't think that's the problem. My roommate has had his 360 connected to it for years and hasn't had a problem.

I really like this computer so I returned my new laptop a couple days later but got the exact same laptop hoping it was just a hardware issue. It wasn't. I still get the same error. Although for whats it worth, 90% of the time with this laptop, I get a "xyz.com can not be found. It may have moved bla bla bla."

I don't think it's a wireless strength problem. It doesn't seem to matter if I'm 6 inches a way or 20 feet away, I get the errors regardless.

I was starting to wonder if there was some interference from something in the apartment. But I couldn't come up with anything. I turned off the bluetooth thinking maybe that was the problem (this being the first laptop with bluetooth built in) Nothin. And again the only thing that had changed was the laptop because my old laptop had no issues with the same network.

The last think I can think of is its a windows fire wall problem. I did go in and add chrome as an exception. This didn't seem to work. That being said, this is my first experience with windows 7 so the setting for it's firewall were very different. If there was one thing I'd explore deeper into it would be this. That being said I did do a google search or two (or maybe 600, who's counting?) on this and didn't come up with anything. When you consider I have had 2 different laptops that are having the same issues and noone else in the world who has that laptop is reporting the issue, it's probably not the laptop.

The one thing I still want to do is going sit on someone else's network for an extended length of time and see if I have any problem. Sadly I won't get this change for a couple more days due to my work schedule.

I feel like I've ruled out every culprit here one way or another. So I throw it out to you guys who know way more about this stuff than me. What say you?

Note: I've been troubleshooting for a week in a half. I'll add more thing in to my post as they come back to me.

Thanks in advance for any help.

-Chris

Edit 1: Here is a screen shot of the error I run into- Posted Image
Edit 2: Just got the other one too. Posted Image

Edited by redsox25, 06 August 2011 - 04:27 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 06 August 2011 - 06:20 PM

Hi, resox25.

I have had issues with my Linsys router at times. Sometimes I can connect without effort by just typing in the security key. Othertimes I spend hours trying to reestablish a link. I do not know what this is all about but can be quite frustrating. :huh:

Have you tried resetting your router? Sometimes unpluging it for a few minutes can do wonders for troublesome networks. There should also be a reset button on the router itself.

One thing I do believe in is creating images of machines that are of suitable working order. This has cured many an ill (including network settings that mysteriosly get reconfigured).

If you have the same issues when you get to test your machine on a different network, it may be a problem with the wireless card in the notebook itself. Or possibly the antenae system - your symptoms sound a lot like the ones I have experienced with this laptop (I removed the display for it is dead weight until I can afford to fix it). The antenae is around the screen. I hooked up some old wires to be able to use it as a wireless desktop, but the signal fluctuates and sometimes I get disconnected - especially with fast and large downloads. Also, if I connect the ethernt cable to my router, I lose the wireless connection.

Edited by bludgard, 06 August 2011 - 06:31 PM.

#3 redsox25

redsox25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 08:06 PM

Yes I tried restarting my router with no results. I can confirm that being connected via ethernet has given me no trouble.

#4 redsox25

redsox25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2011 - 02:17 AM

One more twist here. I disabled the wireless cards and put in a USB netgear adapter. It looks like it works fine on this network. So it sounnds like its a computer problem. That being said, I can not find any evidence of anyone else having this problem. Also, this is the second laptop I have of this model that has had this problem so I don't think its just a bad card. I work at best buy and my job is to deal with returns and obviously I'm not working every second the store is open, but I haven't returned any Asus laptops with this problem. I'm so confused.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users