Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No video after PSU replacement

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sour Bacon

Sour Bacon

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 06 August 2011 - 01:56 AM

I witnessed my computer slowly die out (lights faded and the fan slowed down to an eventual death) so I knew it was the power supply. I replaced it with the exact same model and wattage, but now I get no signal to the monitor. The first time I turned it on, I heard a series of beeps (prob 5 or 6) so I shut it down and re-checked all of my connections. Now, everything fires up, fans work, dvd tray ejects, and it stays on nice and steady, but no video signal and it hasn't beeped since the first time. I swapped out the monitor and still nothing - just the blinking yellow light. I re-seated the RAM and the video card and still nothing. Does anybody know what the problem could possibly be? Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jodav

jodav

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 06 August 2011 - 01:25 PM

Hi Sour Bacon

It sounds like you may have a problem with your video card, Can you get hold of another one to try, possibly borrow one of a friend or the like. I am assuming that you do not see anything on your screen at all including the POST screen (memory check etc).

It is not a PCI express card that needs its own power connector you have forgot to connect?

Another thing worth trying is resetting the BIOS by making sure you unplug the AC power, and then removing the motherboards small round battery for 10 seconds or so and then replacing.

Also do you have onboard graphics as well as a graphics card, if so are you plugging the monitor to the right connection.

Good Luck,
jodav :)

#3 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 06 August 2011 - 05:14 PM

Does the computer have on board graphics? If so, take your card out and plug your cable into your on board port and see if it pulls up video.

#4 HiroPro

HiroPro

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 07 August 2011 - 05:50 PM

"no video" with no beep codes is RAM failure. This is an example where the RAM BGA chips that have failed exist at initial address space used by BIOS. This prevents the BIOS loading from EEPROM into memory space and results in a machine that will power on but with no video signal. It's very common for inexperienced techs to think it's the video card and start farting around with it when the entire time all they had to do was swap memory sticks to see if it's the ram.

80% of the time ram and 20% video adapter. If it's the video adapter it's 80% of the time they forgot to attach PCI-E power connector from PSU and 20% video card failure. And 90% of the time the video card failure is caused by user the moment they powered on without the PCI-E power connector attached 20% of the time! :crazy: In other words the inexperience PC builder damaged the hardware as usual. It's very rare stuff ships DOE and when an "luser" reports multiple DOA it's usually PEBKAC or ID-10T error.

PS the last rant is entirely humor ppl!

Edited by HiroPro, 07 August 2011 - 06:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users