Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't boot :(

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jepoy1026

jepoy1026

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 06 August 2011 - 01:47 AM

Hello BC! I'm having a recurring problem with my PC for months now. One day it just froze and then it won't boot up. Nothing happens when I hit the power button except for the power lights coming on for the tower and fans turning. I get nothing aside from those, I don't even get the "beep" that you normally get when you start a pc. I get no feed on the monitor as well. When I encounter this problem, I just do a hard reset or I just take off every part and dust it off a bit and then reseat it. Sometimes that will do the trick sometimes it won't. There's this one time when I lost hope and just let it sit for a couple of weeks and then tried to run it and it started fine. It even stood for over 24 hrs. without any problems.

This time though, first time it froze, was able to get back after I reset it. And then it froze again as soon as I restored my browsing session and scan 2 or 3 pages. It was like that for about 4-5 times until I got tired and went to bed. When I woke up, I gave it a try again and was able to start it just fine and use it for about an hour before it froze again and never able to get it starting up to now.

I really have no idea what could be wrong since it is the first time it happened to me. I mean, I can't get a clue from the behavior although I'm suspecting it could be the motherboard that's causing the problem. And I'm not that techie to pinpoint which part of which is the culprit.

I'd like to hear of your opinions and suggestions. Thanks in Advance. :)

My Specs:
Asus p5-kpl am/ps
Intel C2D E6600
Inno3D 9500GT
2x 1gb Corsair Dominator ddr2 (cm2x1024-8500c5d)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jodav

jodav

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 06 August 2011 - 01:56 PM

Hi jepoy1026 :)

I would start by disconnecting all hardware from the computer (hard drive, all cards including your PCIe Video card, DVD rom etc etc etc).

Then with only one stick of memory and the video connected to the onboard connection, see if you can regularly boot up to the POST screen and enter the BIOS by pressing appropriate key at boot up (I think it is the DEL key on your system).

If it is still a problem, try swapping to the other stick of memory.

If it is OK and you can enter BIOS every time, then try connecting the hard drive with the one stick of memory (nothing else) and see what happens.

The results will determine your next steps.

Also you say that sometimes you give the parts a dust, have you tried purchasing a can of compressed air and blowing all memory, PCI slots etc out.

Good Luck,
Jodav :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users