Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Corsair PSU makes buzzing noise

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Neil B.

Neil B.

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 05 August 2011 - 11:19 PM

Hello,

I have a very strange issue. I recently purchased this PSU, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139010&Tpk=hx750 to replace my cheap 650 watt PSU that I was afraid would cause problems later on down the road.

While playing video games, the new PSU emits an electronic buzzing noise. Its faint, but noticeable, and I can hear it over my stock CPU fan and 2 other 80mm fans within the case. Needless to say, its annoying. (I have also eliminated all other possible suspects to which the noise could be coming from, and it is for certain the PSU. It is also not the PSU fan as I tested that as well)

So, I decided to install the old PSU back into the system, to see if it made the same noise... to my surprise it did, and honestly I never noticed it before.
After this, I took my new PSU downstairs and plugged it into another wall outlet and it made the same buzzing noise (although not as loud, see below).

My main concern is not the noise (I can get over it), so much as what is causing it, and whether or not I should be concerned about my new PSU. When the system is idle and not doing anything, if I put my ear next to the back of the PSU, I can hear the buzz but its very faint. However, at higher loads (like playing a video game) it becomes noticeably louder (but not obnoxious).

Should this be a cause for concern? Ive done some research to find that others have had this issue. Some say it is a result of "dirty power" coming from the outlets in my house, and that makes sense... especially since both of my PSU's emit the noise. However, Im skeptical.

Any thoughts?
Has anyone else had this issue? Should I be concerned or is it normal?
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 06 August 2011 - 12:05 AM

I would return the PSU, and ask for an exchange for the same model. That hum is an indication of a soon to fail power supply. Electronics should never hum.

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 06 August 2011 - 12:11 AM

You probably got a bad one.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 Neil B.

Neil B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2011 - 10:33 AM

Okay, then let me ask you then.

Since my other PSU does the same thing, could the electricity in my house be damaging these components? Its very odd how both of them developed the noise, since I never noticed it before with my older PSU...? I have my computer plugged into a surge suppressor, so I wouldnt think that would be an issue...

Ill RMA the corsair and see what happens.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2011 - 10:34 AM

What happens if you use an outlet?

#6 Neil B.

Neil B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2011 - 11:07 AM

Same result.

I have plugged it into a voltage regulator, two different surge suppressors, and 3 different wall outlets. (one of which was in a different part of the house).

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2011 - 11:10 AM

Tis time to call your power company

#8 Neil B.

Neil B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2011 - 11:12 AM

So you dont think its a problem with my PSU?

Also, what exactly do I need to ask of my power company?

Edited by Neil B., 06 August 2011 - 11:12 AM.

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2011 - 11:15 AM

Tell / ask your power company that many electrical devices are showing signs of failure and you think its the power coming into the house.

#10 Neil B.

Neil B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2011 - 11:18 AM

Alright, Ill see what they say.

#11 HiroPro

HiroPro

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 06 August 2011 - 11:29 PM

Purchase a power socket tester. It will tell you if the outlet is grounded properly. A lot of modern 80+ PSUs create a lot of electrical noise that then gets dumped down the grounds due to highspeed switching PSU designs used in 80+ units. This noise is generally picked up by speakers though.

BTW that's probably the BEST PSU available today.

PS If it is the PSU then it's prob an inductor coil or capacitor. Shame a 20 cent inductor can cause RMA for customer and expense for retailer or manufacturer. I'd bet money it's simply an inductor not wound tight enough vibrating.

Edited by HiroPro, 06 August 2011 - 11:36 PM.

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 02:34 PM

PS If it is the PSU then it's prob an inductor coil or capacitor. Shame a 20 cent inductor can cause RMA for customer and expense for retailer or manufacturer. I'd bet money it's simply an inductor not wound tight enough vibrating.

I would agree with you, but the fact that it happens through out the house signifies a power issue within the house.

#13 HiroPro

HiroPro

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 07 August 2011 - 02:49 PM

I would agree with you, but the fact that it happens through out the house signifies a power issue within the house.

And thus why I suggest he purchase a ten dollar socket tester from Home Depot. It will tell him if it's missed wired or has a bad ground etc. I would pickup a Fluke SM300 because it can also detect a "raised earth" condition. This can also be caused by shorts on the motherboard as well. Check to make sure none of the stays on the back of the board are shorting to chassis ground etc.

Edited by HiroPro, 07 August 2011 - 02:56 PM.

#14 Neil B.

Neil B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:40 PM

I spoke with a technician from the power company yesterday. He tested the voltage coming in off the power line to the meter over the course of 4 hours. According to him, the voltage was a constant 240v... He also stated that the only way to test the power between the meter and my house would be to hire an electrical technician to come out and look for defects in the breakers, wall outlets, and various wiring.

Im probably not going to spend the money to have a tech come out and "check" my breaker and wiring, when I can do it myself.
Im going to purchase an outlet tester (like the other poster suggested).

I do not have a Home Depot close to where I live, so I will have to get one from RadioShack. Im sure they will be just as good...

I also sent my Corsair PSU in for RMA. When I get the new one, I am going to first hook it up here at work and see if it makes the noise. That will tell me whether or not its the power at the house or a serious issue with these PSUs.

I did my research on this PSU. I had very high expectations, and still do. Lets hope the replacement performs as I had originally hoped such a highly regarded supply would.

Ill update this thread as needed.
Thanks

#15 Neil B.

Neil B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:58 PM

UPDATE:

I recently purchased a ground tester and digital multimeter from radioshack.

I tested the outlet that I plug my computer into and both the ground and voltage passed my tests. The voltage did not fluctuate either, was steady at 120v.

However, I decided to test the outlets on my surge suppressor... turns out, 4 of them are all but completely dead with only 33 volts passing through them, which isnt even enough voltage to power my box fan.

The suppressor with the dead outlets is a Monster from best buy (obvious mistake). I also have another (less expensive) one plugged in to the same wall outlet as well, and it has no issues...

Im beginning to think I must have had a surge come through my house, or perhaps my suppressor died and thus started degrading my PSU... regardless, I have an APC suppressor on the way along with my PSU replacement, so we will see what happens.

Any thoughts on the failing Monster suppressor?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users