Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Several US ISPs Hijacking & Redirecting Customers' Search Queries

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:35 PM

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/several_us_isps_hijacking_and_redirecting_their_customers_search_queries

>>>What do you expect to come up when you search for a term in Google or Bing? Page after page of relevant results, right? Wrong, buster – at least if you're a customer of an ISP that engages in search query redirection. Late last night, a report surfaced that reveals that several ISPs, with the help of a company called PaxFire, have secretly been hijacking your traffic when you search for a certain major keywords. Why? Revenue, of course.

snip

Want names? We got names. The EFF and ISCI identified the following ISPs as actively involved in search hijacking: Cavalier, Cincinnati Bell, Cogent, Frontier, Hughes, IBBS, Insight Broadband, Megapath, Paetec, RCN, Wide Open West, XO Communication, Fuse, and DirecPC. Additionally, Charter and Iowa Telecom hijacked search traffic in the past, but stopped within the past year. The shady ISPs have several million customers between them. Edit: Ars Technica is reporting on a similar finding by a Microsoft/Polytechnic Inst. of NY team. They've added Spacenet, Onvoy and SDN to the list of offenders and say that 2 percent of all US Internet users are affected by the nefarious practice.

The EFF calls out several of the marketing affiliates profiting from the search hijacking: "The affiliate programs involved include Commission Junction, the Google Affiliate Network, LinkShare, and Ask.com." Note that the Google Affiliate Network isn't Google itself – in fact, NewScientist says Google complained to ISPs about the traffic hijacking earlier this year.<<<

More interesting reading on this:

Small ISPs use "malicious" DNS servers to watch Web searches, earn cash
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/08/small-isps-turn-to-malicious-dns-servers-to-make-extra-cash.ars
US internet providers hijacking users' search queries
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn20768-us-internet-providers-hijacking-users-search-queries.html
Widespread Hijacking of Search Traffic in the United States
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/07/widespread-search-hijacking-in-the-us

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Union_Thug, 05 August 2011 - 07:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 05 August 2011 - 11:41 PM

Just goes to show the Dollar to be made overshadows Rights?

BTW, Mate.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU

Here's some Cake to share, I am not sure of your age. just it was a considered educated guess?

Posted Image

Don't get too Drunk on this Rum Cake?

Posted Image

Ray.
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#3 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2011 - 12:53 AM

Thanks, mate! I'll save you a slice of that rum cake!

Edit to add: BTW, add 10 candles to that cake, I just hit the double-nickel.

Edited by Union_Thug, 06 August 2011 - 01:11 AM.

#4 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 06 August 2011 - 05:30 AM

I hope you just enjoy your Double Nickle today and thanks for the explaination of a part of American Slang that I was not aware of. I think that it is a very positive way for people to understand each other.

Come October 31st I will be 10 years up on you, Mate, 65. Don't let that scare you, just stay positive like you are.

Ray.
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#5 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2011 - 07:09 AM

Just goes to show the Dollar to be made overshadows Rights?
Ray.

You got that right, Ray. If I know one thing it's this--in advertising/merchandising THE $$$Revenue$$$ RULES!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users