Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Turns off at post

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nerdy concepts

nerdy concepts

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 05 August 2011 - 04:37 PM

i have a custom built computer which has alot of nice features nvida graphic card audio board ect ect....but it started acting funny it will power on but will shut off as soon as it gets to post...i have tried the logical fixes ram and fans but for the life of me i cant figure out what is going on with it

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jodav

jodav

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 06 August 2011 - 07:02 AM

Hi nerdy concepts :)

1) Your post suggests that computer was running OK and just suddenly developed the fault in question. Could you clarify this?

2) Have you recently added any new hardware or software just prior to when fault appeared?

3) Hopefuly something is dislodged. To start remove the memory module\s, all pci cards and video card, following good ESD practice with power unplugged completely. Try not to touch gold contacts. Blow any dust from them etc including the slots.

Recheck all connections like hard drive cables and power plugs, Tower connections, CPU power cable etc etc etc, also remove any external devices like printer, network cables etc.

Put the video card back in (unless you have an integrated one on your motherboard, if so leave the card out for now and use the onboard one) and one stick of memory to start with, thats all the cards you need. Then try system again.

No point in putting any of the additional cards back in system (sound, LAN, modem etc etc etc) until system is working or not as the case may be. If you do get it working, put back in one at a time, checking system after each one to help find a culprit.

4)If that does not work and you know how to remove the CPU and reseat, do that. You will neeed some thermal paste though before thinking about that.

Good Luck,
jodav :)

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 06 August 2011 - 02:48 PM

One thing to check that can cause this problem. Is the CPU heatsink properly mounted to the motherboard, is there the proper amount of heatsink compound? Too much is just as bad as too little.

If an Intel 775 or newer heatsink make sure that the heatsink is the same clearance at the motherboard on all four push pins. Note that the motherboard will normally have a bit of a bow from mounting the heatsink. That is to help provide the proper pressure between the heatsink & the CPU.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 efowler111

efowler111

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 13 August 2011 - 07:01 PM

Another thing you can check is if your power supply is getting proper voltage. If your cpu is plugged into faulty wall socket, then you won't get a positive power good signal during POST. Try connecting cpu to another wall outlet.
Power good signal for most computers require 5 volts, less volts for newer mother boards.

Edited by efowler111, 13 August 2011 - 07:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users