Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Home Network Issue

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 joesmith

joesmith

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 05 August 2011 - 01:07 PM

Make and model of computer?
I use Lenovo ThinkPad T510

How the computer is connected (wireless or wired)
Wireless

Make and model of Router
D-Link DIR-815

Approximate Distance From the router the PC is if its a wireless connection
PC is one floor, directly above router

What type of internet you have (Dsl, Cable, T-1,etc..)
Cable

Hello,
My home's wireless internet network keeps having issues. We have a 25 GB limit on our internet usage, which is more than enough. But somehow, each month, it says we are going over the limit. We have my laptop, the main PC (the one the modem is connected to), a macbook, and my playstation 3 connected to our router for internet usage. We think there is someone else around the area tapping in our router and using bandwidth. We do however have a WPA password which is randomly generated, so I am not sure how someone would be gaining access to our network... I do use uTorrent from time to time to download music and the occasional movie, but I do not download an amount that would come even close to our 25GB limit. Any ideas? If I could maybe download a program that could see exactly whos connected and whats going on then that might help a bit.. Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cornnut

Cornnut

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:28 PM

If you can log into your router, it should tell you what all is connected to it.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 09:27 PM

Are the computers left on all the time? There are allot of programs that check the internet for updates and download them automatically. Since you openly admit to using a torrent service your network and your pc integrity is lost. There is know way to know what your actually downloading or giving permissions to. Your "front door" is wide open. If you look up the manual for your router you can check the incoming connections and make sure its only your devices accessing your network.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users