Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comodo blocking an .exe file (XP Firefox)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 userid9

userid9

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 05 August 2011 - 12:57 PM

I have a program I run every day. It tries to access the internet, but does not need to do so. With ZoneAlarm, I could block internet Access for the app (so it would load faster), but I could still run the application.

With Comodo, loading of the OS (XP SP2) is VERY VERY slow, loading that app was also very slow. So I "blocked" internet access for the app in Comodo - I THOUGHT just from accessing the internet - Comodo is a firewall, which I thought was just supposed to control a programs access to the internet (like other firewalls), not control MY access to my program - silly me. So far as I know it is supposed to be JUST an internet firewall, NOT an anti-virus to block and quarantine things (for which any decent anti-virus has an "undo").

I then selected the app and chose to put the it into the "trusted" list, and it IS there, but when I try to run it, I'm still told that Windows can't find/access it, that "maybe it has been moved." It won't let me move/copy it either. It has blocked ME from MY program instead of blocking the program from the internet. I just need to UNBLOCK it - I guess with Comodo I have to give it internet access and waste the loading time if I want to run it at all.

ZoneAlarm had "block" "allow" and "ASK" for each program, and even if it was blocked, it would still run, if it was capable of running without internet access. I had to quit using Zone Alarm because they said they "had not tested" the new versions with XP SP2, but only with XP SP3, which I will not be putting on my machine (when XP doesn't work for me any longer, I will move to Linux; I'm not putting Microsoft spyware and controlware - disguised as an OS - on my system).

Does anyone know how to UNBLOCK an .exe file in Comodo? I have looked everywhere and can't find it.

Thank you for your help,
Anna

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 logicwatch

logicwatch

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 05 August 2011 - 01:13 PM

Hi Anna
I unblock applications in Comodo using the option "firewall" tab
"network security policy"
pick your application from the list double click it and chose the allow option then apply

hope that helps ?

Edited by logicwatch, 05 August 2011 - 01:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users