Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sharing A Printer!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 doh102

doh102

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 15 January 2006 - 06:29 PM

OK, i am semi-knowledgeble with computers, but this is killing me. I am trying to share an hp deskjet 3650 between two computers. One is an emachine, running on windows xp. The other is windows 98. The printer is actually hooked up to the win 98 computer. They are both running online with dsl, through a wired d-link router. This is all the information that i can think of to share, but if there is more you need, please ask! I am trying to share this printer betwixt the two computers. Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 unrepper

unrepper

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2006 - 08:52 PM

You need to ensure that file and print sharing is enabled for both machines. I would use the XP machine to hast the printer though.
Posted Image

#3 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 15 January 2006 - 08:57 PM

lots of hinderances possible
-must be on same workgroup
-you must "enable file and printer sharing on the win98 box
-make sure you reboot if you make any changes.
-possible firewall blocking access.try disableing them
- make sure you have the printer disk for winxp drivers.

thats a start, trythese post back a response
Google...Google.....browse..read

#4 doh102

doh102
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2006 - 09:38 PM

ok, i'm pretty sure i enabled both computers for file sharing, as well as settled any file sharing issues on the xp computer. I was trying to host the printer on the win 98 printer however, so if someone could give me a detailed walkthrough of how to get this thing going, i'll switch the printer to the xp computer and try and follow along (i have the drivers downloaded from the hp website and the computer works with the xp comp) Do i need anything else for the win 98 computer (like drivers?) or do i need to uninstall that printer from the 98 computer before i continue? thanks for the help.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 15 January 2006 - 11:47 PM

I would recommend a print server. You do not need both computer on and it miniumizes the, IMO, hit and miss nature of USB. When you share you printer make sure your printer icon in the printer folder has a palm up hand at the top of the icon. If it is not there sharing is not set for that device. Once you turn on printer sharing you have to go to the individual printer and share it. Right click on the printer icon and set premission/sharing there.
Here is an inexpensive print server...

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/justdeals/ps121nar.html
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 19 January 2006 - 03:41 PM

I had a similar problem with a network printer at work. The printer was attached to one of two computers running Windows 2000 Pro and there were two newer computers running XP pro. The computers running XP couldn't print no matter what settings I used or drivers I installed. The problem was quickly solved when I hooked the printer up to one of the XP machines.

The long and short: try hooking the printer up to the XP machine.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 19 January 2006 - 03:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users