Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

many 'Application data ' folders mayhem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 klloyd

klloyd

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 05 August 2011 - 01:49 AM

Hi All,

I have about 12 application data folders in my XP PC. I want to free up some memory and delete some of these. Which ones can I delete please?
And the bigger doubt is "why I have these many application data folders?

Below is a list of all the application data folders in my PC:

1. allusers\Application Data
2. Default user\application data
3. myuser\application data
4. myuser\Localsettings\application data
5. Local service\application data
6. local service\local settings\ application data
7. localservice.NT authority\application data
8.localservice.NT Authority\\local settings application data
9. Networkservice\application data
10.networkservice\local settings\application data
11. network service.NT Authority\application data
12. networkservice. NT Authority\local settings\application data

Somebody please help me.

thanks in advance.

Edited by klloyd, 05 August 2011 - 01:50 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 USN Vet

USN Vet

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 05 August 2011 - 04:14 AM

you want to delete System folders ? ? ?
Feel free to ignore my comment, just another user !

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 05 August 2011 - 06:48 AM

Leave them alone. And deleting files / folders doesn't free up memory, only hard disk space.

#4 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 05 August 2011 - 06:50 AM

If you need to free-up some hard drive space, uninstall old programs you've downloaded and no longer use. Empty the Recycle Bin. Move image files, videos, music files, etc. to an external hard drive or other storage. Run Disk Cleanup and then Defrag. Delete old System Restore dates. Lots of safe ways available for freeing up space.

If you remove application data folders, you will cripple your computer.

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#5 klloyd

klloyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:16 AM

I'm just glad I haven't deleted them, before I got replies from you. I nearly deleted them, but thought to check if anyone has replied.Thank you all guys for the replies. But, what is the point of having them in all those places? Can I just keep one and delete the rest to free up some disk space.

Well I must admit, I still get confused between RAM, Disk space, memory, physical memory ..(I don't remember what else?)

All that I use my pc for is, to view PDF files, use MSOffice , go on internet(watch videos of all sorts to find out info), write disks, view photos and videos, store photos and videos.I don't understand why I have all these folders and files in the PC? mainly many times with non-understandable or illogical names.

Now I just want to VC++ and need to free up disk space. I have only one disk with 3 partitions(C:9.76 D: 14.xx; E:12.xx). I thought of reducing overheads on C drive and have been putting all program files in D: drive. But, C: drive still has program files occupying lots of disk space.

I have been trying to find out a way of merging E: drive with C: drive to make my PC faster. at the moment it looks as if it is struggling a lot. It makes lots of noise when I try to explore files (it certainly isn't the fan). and takes a while even to show me the add/remove program files folder.

I did all those things, "uninstall old programs you've downloaded and no longer use. Empty the Recycle Bin. Move image files, videos, music files, etc. to an external hard drive or other storage. Run Disk Cleanup and then Defrag. Delete old System Restore dates"--- and I did free up some space, and I got about 2GB free space in C: drive. but just for one day? after which it showed me about 500MB free disk space. well I did the same process again. Now I got 2.xxGB free disk space in c: drive. And I just decided to be greedy on my own disk space and am trying to get more disk space. the PC hasn't been on internet. All that I did was installed and uninstalled ORACLE ver8 in D:Program files. Well I certainly have deleted D:ORANT folder. Just don't understand who the culprit is , that is eating my disk space?

Please please help...

PS: I don't know why the PCs are running us mad. they are supposed to make our lives easy. I just keep thinking about all the ways of freeing up some disk space all the time. Are the new programs taking up / eating up lots of disk space? Are the new programmers not concerned about minimal use of disk space and freeing up memory once the program no longer needs it or while exiting the program? I don't understand why these new programs are occupying minimally only 100MB disk space in the drive(this is what they show in add/remove programs folder). Even a simple Adobe reader is occupying 100's of MB and so is flash player. I have completely uninstalled Real player, by the way. and just to view a pdf file there are 3..or 4 programs I see in the add/remove programs list. And why do i need adobe air? I DON'T KNOW.

Maybe some one can help me.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:20 AM

1) Unless your hd is essentially full, deleting programs will not effect performance in any way

2) If you do need to free up space, system restore is probably utilizing a lot. Go to System Properties - System Restore and reduce the space allocated to System Restore

3) You can download, install, and run treesize to see where space is being utilized: http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 05 August 2011 - 09:32 AM

You might try moving the data (video/graphics/music) files (which are far larger than programs, etc.) from My Documents to removeable media or another partition.

Louis

#8 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2011 - 01:53 PM

Hello klloyd,

Maybe in addition to low disc space you may be using low RAM memory as well. Give us a better picture of your system:

Please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy, and post a link to it in this thread.
This is a convenient and accurate way of providing us with details of your computer specifications.
If you cannot get on-line to publish the information, and wish to attach it as a text file to your post, then please edit it to ensure that you do not include your Windows Key.

Also, check out this quick snippet on memory:
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20039455-263.html

bloopie

EDIT: Added link

Edited by bloopie reborn, 05 August 2011 - 01:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users