Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can Norton And Mcafee Anti Virus Program Co Exist

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ramsey76

ramsey76

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 15 January 2006 - 06:26 PM

The company I work requires that every PC that access their network be equipped with Norton Corporate Anti Virus (NCAV) 9.0.2 . This includes me who work from home using my own PC.

The issue is that some employees have been complaining that NCAV we use does not catch all the virus and other junk. We are not using the latest version of the NCAV.

My understanding is that two active anti virus products can cause problem for my PC. Is this true ? I want to run my McAfee anti virus program in addition to the NCAV. Will this cause me problems ?

Thanks

Ramsey

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 15 January 2006 - 06:47 PM

Running two AVs AT THE SAME TIME can be a problem and certainly will slow down your computer and probably cause application conflicts. However, you may have two AVs on your hard drive and run only one of them at a time; be aware, though, that one may be "confused" by the other's virus vault or virus definitions, so you will have to carefully watch the paths for anything to be quarantined or deleted.

You main effort should obviously get your company to upgrade to the latest version, and to make sure that whatever version they use is capable of getting the latest definition updates.

Additionally, you should elect to have at least two anti-spyware applications on your home computer, in addition to a AV.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users