Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error 80240016 Windows Update

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pcdumbdumb

pcdumbdumb

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 04 August 2011 - 09:20 PM

Hi, I keep getting error 80240016 when trying to update windows vista Home Premium. I am giving my daughters laptop a tune-up after years fo neglect. No updates since she got it.

I have installed Norton Security Suite, from Comcast.

When trying to update Windows it will not finish the install and I get error 80240016.

Edited by pcdumbdumb, 04 August 2011 - 09:50 PM.

"My life would be a more satisfying dram, if appropriate music were always playing in the background"-Ashleigh Brilliant-6/1/09.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 05 August 2011 - 09:19 AM

1. Go to your search bar on you start menu
- search for CMD
- When CMD comes up in you results right click and select run as administrator
2. When the CMD window pops up run the command
- "Sfc /scannow"

let it find repair corrupt system files. If it can't repair one navigate to where it saves the log and upload it for us to see. If everything gets fixed try the updates again.

#3 pcdumbdumb

pcdumbdumb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2011 - 01:00 PM

Okay, I ran the Scf/scannow. Now it is telling me that "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.".

Tried to navigate to the log but keep getting "Access Denied".
"My life would be a more satisfying dram, if appropriate music were always playing in the background"-Ashleigh Brilliant-6/1/09.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,719 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:49 PM

Try here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957307

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 pcdumbdumb

pcdumbdumb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 12:27 PM

Okay, I went to the microsoft support web site and ran all their "fix it" programs to no avail, still no updates. I was also reading about how service for vista sp1 has run out, if you were not registered by July 2011 microsoft will discontinue service to your computer if you did not have sp1. Also have to have sp1 to install sp2. My daughter never updated her laptop so i guess she is s.o.l..

Any suggestions? Thanks

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,719 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 07 August 2011 - 12:31 PM

Download standalone SP2: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=16468 and see if it'll install.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users