Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Activeshield Components Are Missing

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Anita E

Anita E

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 15 January 2006 - 06:01 PM

"Some components of Activeshield are either missing or might not have been installed properly". This is the constant message I get (keeps popping up). Here is the story...

I purchased this new laptop (Dell XPS M140 Inspiron), decided to also purchase wireless router (Netgear WGR614v6), and was having problems getting it set up. I called a tech to make a house call to help me, he told me to get rid of McAfee, and he proceeded to remove the program. After all that, he still could not get my wireless router set up. Now I'm in the process of exchanging this laptop because it is less than 21 days old, and I'm at my wits end with this.

I thought hooking up wireless was a piece of cake. Well, after all this, I would like to know how to fix this if I run into this problem with the new system. I tried re-installing McAfee with my disc, and also did an upgrade on the website prior to that, but every time I try to re-install, or remove, it tells me there are missing components. I am totally stressed, and do not understand why it will not even let me remove the program. So if I can't remove it totally, how can I do a sucessful re-install? This makes no sense. How do you get rid of McAfee?? It's like the plage! Since I'm on the topic of antivirul software, what would anyone suggest as a reputable and reliable one? What about Norton Utilities? I heard negative feedback on that one too. Any advise on this problem would be very much appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Anita E

[Moderator edit: removed Email address in message closing to prevent it being found by spambots. jgweed]

Edited by jgweed, 15 January 2006 - 06:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 15 January 2006 - 06:12 PM

About other AVs, see my reply to your introduction, and I personally would not advise anyone to use Norton. whose products seem to have worsened over the last two years.
Hopefully a member who has had experience with McAfee can help you with your problem.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users