Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

possible malware infection

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dickgillis

dickgillis

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 04 August 2011 - 05:02 PM

i have been getting a message from avast stating i have suspicious file that may be malware. C:\windows\system32\drivers\pciide.sys
i had been infected with the koobface virus in the past but thought i cleared it up. i have run ccleaner,malwarebytes,trendmicro housecall and rubotted as well as glary utilities and all of those programs dont detect anything. The computer seems to be running ok at the moment but avast will not update just says cannot connect to server. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:08 PM

Did you allow the file to be submitted to avast virus lab for analysis? At the bottom of the warning message is a box that can be checked to submit a sample to ALWIL Software virus lab for further analysis so they can investigate.

You can also get a second opinion by submitting the file to one of the following online services that analyzes suspicious files:In the "File to upload & scan" box, browse to the location of the suspicious file and submit (upload) it for scanning/analysis. If you get a message saying "File has already been analyzed", click Reanalyze file now.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 dickgillis

dickgillis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:47 PM

installed and ran tdsskiller kapersky found the pciide file deleted it and rebooted computer. Uninstalled avast as it still wouldnt update. Installed avg ran a anti rootkit scan and a whole computer scan both came up completely clean. seems to be working now. thanks for taking some time to lend a hand!

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 04 August 2011 - 09:04 PM

Not a problem. Can you post the complete results of your TDSSkiller scan for review.

After running TDSSkiller, a log file named TDSSKiller_version_date_time_log.txt will have been created and saved to the root directory (usually Local Disk C:). Open that file in notepad, then copy and paste the contents in your next reply.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users