Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Critical Memory

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Brickcity610

Brickcity610

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 15 January 2006 - 05:51 PM

My computer keeps telling me memory is critically low. It then refers me to delete unwanted files but I dont know what to do. I don't want to delete necessary files. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

Edited by Brickcity610, 15 January 2006 - 08:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2006 - 06:05 PM

Please include additional information. How large is your HD and how much free space does Windows show remaining (click on My Computer on the desktop- - -it will show total size and remaining free space.

To begin the clean up process:
Go to Start and expand Programs. Look for a file called Accessories, expand that and find system tools. Launch Disk Cleanup
Choose the drive you want to clean up. Click on OK. You can generally click on all the choices provided in the box, than let Windows clean up those unneeded files.

Many documents, sound and movie files, and picture folders can be saved to disk and the files on your hard drive then can be deleted if you really need a lot of free space.
Other areas to consider:
Unplayed games (assuming you have the original disks and access codes) and unused applications; another group is any zipped files you may have unintentially left behind after unzipping(extracting their contents).

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 15 January 2006 - 06:17 PM

Also check your System Restore drivespace allocation - it may be hogging all the available space on your drive.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 Brickcity610

Brickcity610
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2006 - 06:50 PM

I tried disk clean up 10 times a day with no results. I just tried it and now I have 41mb free.

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2006 - 07:11 PM

Try using Ccleaner to remove junk files. Its much more effective than disk cleanup.

Look through Add/Remove programs for any programs you don't need and remove those.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users