Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Redirect

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tannerd1020

Tannerd1020

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 04 August 2011 - 02:55 PM

Hello all!

Long time reader, first time poster here. I am currently having problems with the Google Redirect virus when clicking search results in both Chrome and FireFox. When I click the link for the first time, it opens a new tab and redirects my link to google.analytics. I have tried scanning with SpyBot S&D, Malwarebytes pro, AVG 2011, and countless other rootkit removal tools with no luck. Even worse, when I search with these tools now, they all come back with a clean scan, however I am still being redirected.

I am running on Windows 7 home premium 64 bit. Any help is greatly appreciated, as I have tried everything (including following along in the steps provided in these forums for the same issue) and have had no luck.

Thanks,
Tanner

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 04 August 2011 - 05:10 PM

Try this:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-tdss-tdl3-alureon-rootkit-using-tdsskiller
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Tannerd1020

Tannerd1020
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2011 - 05:43 PM

Try this:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-tdss-tdl3-alureon-rootkit-using-tdsskiller

I already have tried that, with no luck.

EDIT: After further testing/investigation, I have discovered that the issue is with the office router, and not my computer. Reasoning behind this is:

At office:
-Links redirect.
-All links open new tabs.
-Cannot update MBAM.
-Other computers on the network suffer the same problem.

At home on my personal network:
-No links redirect.
-All links open in the same window, no new tabs.
-MBAM updated perfectly.
-No computers on the home network have the redirect issue.

Keep in mind, this is my personal laptop, which I have brought back and forth between the office and my house only a time or two.

So the laptop is not infected, but the router is, any tips on what to do with the router? Just hard reset, update bios and change the security settings on it and scan/repair all of the computers on the network before bringing it back up?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 04 August 2011 - 05:59 PM

Just hard reset, update bios and change the security settings on it and scan/repair all of the computers on the network before bringing it back up?

I would not bother with the BIOS update unless it is out of date. Other than that your plan looks good.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Tannerd1020

Tannerd1020
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2011 - 06:03 PM

Thank you for your fast responses! I'll update you once I have had a chance to work on the network.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users