Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

should i reinstall natty 11.04

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 boregard

boregard

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 04 August 2011 - 11:48 AM

i ran natty 11.04 in dual boot with vista for a while and liked ubuntu so much i got a live cd and did away with windows. however there's a couple of things i wish i had done. i wish i had encrypted my home files or home directory. and i have 2 different passwords for my keyring and login passwords. i guess what i am asking would it be simpler for a noob like me to use my live cd and reinstall ubuntu and or could i use dban and completely wipe harddrive and start allover? what would be easiest for someone who doesn't know much about computers? thanks for any help or advice, boregard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,320 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 04 August 2011 - 01:15 PM

The link below has some very useful info on encryption. It recommends not using a Live CD but rather
an Alternate Installer ISO image. I've never attempted or really have a need for encrypting so I want be any
help other than pointing you to this link: Home directory and full disk encryption in Ubuntu 11.04

Edited by buddy215, 04 August 2011 - 07:06 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 boregard

boregard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2011 - 05:25 PM

thanks much for the link, any help is appreciated.

#4 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 05 August 2011 - 11:25 PM

Were you looking for whole disc encryption or just the "encrypt home folder" option that's available when you install from live cd? If the latter then I'd suggest a reinstall using the live cd.

If you want to keep things as they are, you could always use TrueCrypt to create an encrypted partition on your current set up. Guide with screenshots (old 8.04?) version of Ubuntu, but method is still the same

http://linuxandfriends.com/2010/02/03/how-to-truecrypt-setup-on-ubuntu-linux/

Hope this helps?

Richard

#5 boregard

boregard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:18 PM

thanks for your reply richard s. i was trying to encrypt home folder. i couldn't see the advantage so i just reinstalled with live cd and didn't bother with trying to encrypt it. thats why it has taken me awhile to reply. much thanks!

#6 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 07 August 2011 - 01:04 AM

Thanks for the update & glad you've got it sorted to what you're happy with!

Richard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users