Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SVCHOST.EXE - Instruction 0x77c47e9f - RPC timeout

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 greeneyesx63

greeneyesx63

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 04 August 2011 - 02:05 AM

On returning from a two week holiday during which my PC was shutdown, I found I have the following problem:

System Drive C: would not boot up. Black screen message that boot disk had not been found.
I connected C: through SATA expansion card and was able to boot OK, but only once.

On restarting PC I saw this dialogue box: SCVHOST.EXE "Instruction 0x77c47e9f... refernced memory at 0x00000000... memory could not be read."
On using any of the three obvious choices - OK, Cancel or clicking the X in the corner - a new box would appear with a message on "System shutdown... NT Authority\System... Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Service..." and a 1 minute timer that starts the shut down process.

The boot up takes about 5 minutes and shutdown about the same, but I have exactly 60 seconds to access anything once Windows is running (very slowly) and no task bar or Start button. I also cannot access My Computer Properties either. So, each time it has shutdown before I can start Malwarebytes or Spybot SD.

I tried starting XP in Normal,Safe,Safe with C prompt and Last Known Good Configuration, but aslways got the same result.
I tried booting to Recovery Console (previously installed on HDD), but this gives a BSOD and advises running antivirus check and checking my HDD. I can only powerdown to get out of the BSOD, there appears to be no way to move forward from it.

I have removed the HDD and installed it in another PC, then run Avira AV and Kapersky's free scanner. Avira found one file, which it quarantined, Kapersky found nothing. I could not access My Documents this way.

I reinstalled the HDD in the original PC and booted using Kapersky Recovery Disk running the included antivirus. This appeared to work, but found nothing.

Attempting to boot to XP gives the same results as before.

Running Recovery Console from my XP CD and running:
C:\>Chkdsk /r gives: "The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems"
C:\>dir gives: "There is no floppy disk or CD in the drive."

How can I regain control long enough to remove whatever malware is causing this?

Edited by greeneyesx63, 04 August 2011 - 02:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:54 AM

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001214.htm

The hard drive itself may be OK, but the file system/partition structures may be damaged. I would run the appropriate hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic, following instructions provided for doing such.

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

If the drive checks out OK...then it's the file system/partition.

FWIW: It's normal to be unable to access My Documents after the hard drive has been removed from parent system and installed as secondary in another system. The typical way of overcoming this is to take ownership of the files on the second system.

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Louis

#3 greeneyesx63

greeneyesx63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 08 August 2011 - 01:29 AM

I tried running Chkdsk with the disk connected to another PC. I scanned and reported nothing. Then I ran Samsung's HUTIL, which reported more than one unrecoverable fault and recommeded reformating the disk. I also recovered my Outlook PST and My Documents to add to my most recent backup. Now I am rebuilding my PC from scratch with a new motherboard and system disk.

The upside is that the antivirus, firewall and Spybot had not failed.

Thanks for your help.

This thread is now finished.

Edited by greeneyesx63, 08 August 2011 - 01:30 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:25 AM

Thanks for the feedback...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users