Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to do system or hard drive backup/restore

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Mildbill

Mildbill

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:35 PM

When attempting backup operations, I receive the following error message:

The shadow copy provider had an unexpected error while trying to process the specified operation. (0x8004230F)

I ran sfc /scannow, with the following message:

Found corrupt files but could not repair them.

Looking through the CBS.log, the file "settings.ini" is identified as not being repaired, and there seems to have been a lot of other activity in the scan.

How do I make repairs?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 05 August 2011 - 12:43 AM

Hello, MildBill.

What antivirus (if any) do you have installed on your machine? I have run into problems with using System Restore with a couple of programs. They seemed to lock the necessary files.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2011 - 09:49 AM

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-performance/sfc-scannow-found-but-could-not-fix-some-corrupt/26c51bfc-3405-46e1-b79b-afb596714e31

I myself would suspect hard drive problems...and run the appropriate hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic...before trying to install/repair anything.

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

Louis

#4 Mildbill

Mildbill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2011 - 12:42 PM

Thank you for your suggestions.

I have McAfee Total Protection installed, but I have had some problems with it recently, too. McAfee locked up when accessing the "Quarantined Potentially Unwanted Programs", which have always been ad cookies. Their diagnostics could not find a problem, so customer support concluded that I needed to reinstall Total Protection, which I have had to do twice because of this same problem.

I downloaded SeaTools for Windows and ran the Short DST, which I thought could be used for all brands of hard drives. It failed with the following message in the log:

Model: 00AAJS-22B4A
Serial Number: --------
Firmware Revision: 01.0
Test Unavailable - Test Unavailable 8/5/2011 10:15:56 AM
Short DST - Started 8/5/2011 10:18:10 AM
Short DST - FAIL 8/5/2011 10:18:11 AM
Sense Key: 0x05 Sense Code: 0x20 Sense Qual: 0x00 FRU: 0x00

Last night the computer locked up for a while (reason unknown) then produced the following message:

Logon process has failed to create the security options dialog. Failure - Security Options

I used Malwarebytes to remove a fake popup virus program about a month ago that McAfee could not identify. I thought that I had recovered, but perhaps I am still dealing with after effects rather than having some Vista issue. Should I transfer to a different forum for further diagnostics?

Bill

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2011 - 01:30 PM

Even though Sea Tools appears to be capable of being used with other manufacturers drives...I don't find it to be so.

Each manufacturere employs its own criteria for developing diagnostic tools...and I seriously doubt that Seagate's utility can match the correct respective diagnostic and I further doubt that any HD manufacturer would accept a SeaTools result in lieu of the customer seeking an RMA...running the diagnostic specified at the website of that HD manufacturer.

I have a utility I paid for...which does a definitive diagnostic for all hard drives...and I would not even think of attempting to use those results...if I attempted an RMA.

The correct procedure...is to use the respective diagnostic developed by the HD manufacturer...if such is available.

Louis

FWIW: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-performance/back-up-files-error-the-shadow-copy-provider-had/7aa25d31-9846-e011-90b6-1cc1de79d2e2?msgId=ae3dbcc0-9e46-e011-87ac-d485645a8348

Edited by hamluis, 05 August 2011 - 01:32 PM.

#6 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2011 - 05:50 PM

Mildbill, since you are uninstalling McAfee anyway, try to use System Restore before reinstalling. If you still experience the problem, it will rule out McAfee’s potential intervention.
If you could provide some basic information on your machine, it may help with diagnostics. Knowing the manufacturer of hard drive will steer you to any specific tools for diagnostics.

#7 Mildbill

Mildbill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2011 - 12:32 AM

The computer is an Acer Aspire M5641 with an Intel Core2 Quad CPU running at 2.4 GHz. The operating system is Windows Vista SP2, 64-bit. The hard drive is a Western Digital WD3200AAJS-22B4A, and it passed the Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tools quick test.

I tried to create a system restore point, and I received another shadow copy provider error message.

Bill

#8 weatherman13

weatherman13

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2011 - 12:47 AM

Hello and Welcome to Bleeping Compiter,

What are you exactly trying to backup? (pictures, docs, or OS)

Edited by weatherman13, 08 August 2011 - 12:49 AM.

#9 Mildbill

Mildbill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2011 - 09:56 AM

I have tried backing up the system (creating a restore point) and I have tried backing up my files through the Windows Backup and Restore Center. Both attempts lead to similar shadow copy provider error messages, so I think that the errors are related.

#10 weatherman13

weatherman13

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2011 - 10:27 AM

If you want to just backup your files like pictures and docs. We can do that via a Ubuntu Live CD and a flash drive. This is not to recover the OS just files like pictures and docs. Reply back after you are done with these steps as there is more steps.

Step 1: Go to http://www.ubuntu.com/

Step 2: Click get Ubuntu

Step 3: Click Try it from a CD or USB disk.

Step 4: Click Start download and Save the file to your desktop.

Step 5: Go to http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/ImgBurn/1128426215/1 . Click Download now and run.

Step 6: After ImgBurn is done downloading and installing open it up. Click Write Image to disk.

Step 7: Then click the first Icon under Source. It should be an Select the file you downloaded to your desktop.

Step 7: Insert a Blank disk.

Step 8: Burn the disk by pressing the picture at the bottom with the disk.

Step 9: In BIOS make sure you are booting from the disk. Then Ubuntu should boot. Make sure you choose Try not install

#11 Mildbill

Mildbill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2011 - 10:33 AM

Thank you for suggestions on how to back up my files.

I would really like to repair my system rather than use another operating system. How do I repair my systems?

Bill

#12 weatherman13

weatherman13

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2011 - 11:49 AM

Hi,
This might help. You can run the chkdsk /r scan. Open My Computer, Right Click you main Hard Drive should be C: , Clcik Properties, Go to Tools, There should be a Check Now Option click it, Make sure Automaticlly Fix File System Errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors are both checked press start, if it asks to restart let it restart. This scan might take a while so let the scan run. Let me know if this ressolves the issue.

Thanks

#13 Mildbill

Mildbill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2011 - 04:32 PM

I ran chkdsk and it was happy - no errors. This seems to confirm the Western Digital diagnostic that concluded that the hard drive itself is ok. This leads back to my original observations:

1. System and hard drive backup operations lead to shadow copy provider error messages.

2. Running sfc /scannow finds corrupt files but can not repair them.

3. The CBS.log (created by sfc) identifies the file "settings.ini" as not being repaired.

How do I repair "settings.ini"?

#14 weatherman13

weatherman13

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2011 - 04:45 PM

Ok try this for the Shadow Copy error: Go into Services and double click Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider. Set to Automatic.

Hopefully this helps

#15 Mildbill

Mildbill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2011 - 05:25 PM

I tried that, but I was unable to create a restore point. I get the following message:

The restore point could not be ceated for the following reason:

The creation of a shadow copy has timed out. Try again this operation. (0x81000101)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users