Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen is white at startup

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 aliciatownshend

aliciatownshend

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 03 August 2011 - 04:53 PM

Hello!
My apologies if this is an old topic. I browsed a few likely-looking threads but did not immediately see what I was looking for.
I have a Dell Inspiron PC which came with the Windows 7 operating system. If more details about my computer are necessary, a bit of direction as to where to find those would be appreciated. I'm good at following directions but I'm by no means a computer wizard.
When I start the computer it starts normally, no weird messages during startup. The logon screen shows up as normal, and I key in my password and tap enter. I see the word "Welcome" as usual, but it seems to be "thinking" much longer than normal before logging me on all the way. Instead of my normal background I see a completely white screen without any icons or taskbar. I can see my cursor though. After a moment or two, my regular background appears and all seems to be normal. I ran my virus scan (Webroot), and that came up with no results. Not sure what to do next. Any advice on how to make the startup process go back to normal would be greatly appreciated. If there are is any more information I can/should include, please let me know! Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2011 - 05:30 PM

Hello, aliciatownshend.

Have you connected any additional or new hardware to the machine (USB hard drives, memory card readers, new keyboard, mouse, installed any extra RAM)?

#3 aliciatownshend

aliciatownshend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2011 - 05:33 PM

Hello, aliciatownshend.

Have you connected any additional or new hardware to the machine (USB hard drives, memory card readers, new keyboard, mouse, installed any extra RAM)?

Hi,

No, I have not. I have a printer that connects via USB but I haven't used that in several months.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 03 August 2011 - 05:36 PM

What happens if you boot to safe mode - does everything appear as usual or does the white screen come up first?

Also, What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

#5 aliciatownshend

aliciatownshend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2011 - 05:39 PM

I haven't added anything new or different recently, unless Windows had some automatic updates. I don't have any error messages or viruses that Webroot has caught. Once the white screen goes away, everything runs as well as it always has. I am not sure how to start in Safe Mode.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2011 - 05:46 PM

Reboot. As soon as the system boots start tapping the F8 Function key. This will take you to the advanced boot options screen. Choose safe mode.

#7 aliciatownshend

aliciatownshend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:43 PM

Reboot. As soon as the system boots start tapping the F8 Function key. This will take you to the advanced boot options screen. Choose safe mode.

Tried this, ran Webroot in safe mode, and it found nothing. I'm wondering if it's possibly another program trying to start right when Windows is?

#8 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:35 PM

You could chek startup programs via System Configuration utility. Look in Startup and Services tabs. Type msconfig.exe into searchbox. This is a very useful diagnostic tool for troubleshooting Windows startup. If you disable any services, it is prefferable to do so within Sevices(type services in the search box and select the second option.

System Configuration

Edited by bludgard, 03 August 2011 - 07:37 PM.

#9 aliciatownshend

aliciatownshend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:05 PM

Attached File  startup.jpg   320.6KB   2 downloads

You could chek startup programs via System Configuration utility. Look in Startup and Services tabs. Type msconfig.exe into searchbox. This is a very useful diagnostic tool for troubleshooting Windows startup. If you disable any services, it is prefferable to do so within Sevices(type services in the search box and select the second option.

System Configuration

If I've attached the image right, these are the programs which run at Startup.

#10 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:37 PM

Alicia wrote:
“Instead of my normal background I see a completely white screen without any icons or taskbar.”

I have seen this before. Or something like it, actually.
Next time you reach the Desktop, change the background through Personalize. Reboot. Change it back to your preference. Reboot.
Does that help at all?

#11 aliciatownshend

aliciatownshend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2011 - 05:30 AM

Alicia wrote:
“Instead of my normal background I see a completely white screen without any icons or taskbar.”

I have seen this before. Or something like it, actually.
Next time you reach the Desktop, change the background through Personalize. Reboot. Change it back to your preference. Reboot.
Does that help at all?

I just tried this. When I selected a standard background provided by Dell, my reboot went back to normal. No white screen. When I chose one of my own pictures and rebooted, I had the white screen problem again.

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2011 - 06:39 AM

Tried this, ran Webroot in safe mode, and it found nothing. I'm wondering if it's possibly another program trying to start right when Windows is?

That's not what I asked. I wanted to know if the problem was evident in safe mode. But it appears you've identified the cause now.

#13 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2011 - 01:39 PM

It could be a user policy in place.. give this a shot.

1. Launch “regedit” and browse to “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop.” Copy the following values with the suffix “Old” to the corresponding value without the suffix. Then delete the “Old” values.
- WallpaperOld -> Wallpaper
- WallpaperStyleOld -> WallpaperStyle
- TileWallpaper -> TileWallpaper

2. Still in “regedit” browse to “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop” and delete the value “NoChangingWallPaper.”

#14 aliciatownshend

aliciatownshend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2011 - 04:26 PM

MarkGS,

I tried to follow your instructions, and was able to, but found nothing about Wallpaper, with or without the term Old attached to it.

#15 aliciatownshend

aliciatownshend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2011 - 06:13 PM

That's not what I asked. I wanted to know if the problem was evident in safe mode. But it appears you've identified the cause now.

Allan, sorry, I misunderstood what you were asking the first time. I tried Safe Mode again and I cannot say for sure, as I'm not sure how long it should take to log on to Safe Mode. My icons did eventually appear, but no background except for black. It was almost a full minute before my desktop completely loaded. I'm assuming that not displaying a background is part of how Safe Mode works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users