Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

slmgr permissions?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JodyVL

JodyVL

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 03 August 2011 - 04:38 PM

Hi guys!

I've used this forum so much whenever I've had problems, always just running a search and usually finding the solution, or a lead to a solution, but this time, it didn't happen...

For months now, I've been able to run Command Prompt as Administrator and then run the command "slmgr /dlv" in order to bring up a very useful little box of information.

Now, I run the command and a little Windows Security window pops up and says it's not possible to open these files (slmgr.vbs) because of my Internet Security Settings, and the line "Access denied" appears in the command prompt.

I've switched off Windows Defender... I have Avira Guard enabled but that's never been a problem before...

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2011 - 05:05 PM

Hi, JodyVL.

Do you run the cmd as administrator?

I just tried it on two different versions of W7 and it takes about 15-30 sec. to bring up the info.

Right-click cmd and select Run as administrator.

edit: I missed the part in your post stating you run the cmd as admin. :crazy:

Have you changed any group policies?

Edited by bludgard, 03 August 2011 - 05:09 PM.

#3 JodyVL

JodyVL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2011 - 05:14 PM

Hey BludGard :)

Well, I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "changing group policies" ... But I don't think so.

About 10 days ago I DID have a malware problem which was really difficult to get rid of... I tried all SORTS of things, so maybe I did something somehow then?

I don't know... What could cause the access permissions to change in a system file? (Even the Administrator account??)

#4 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2011 - 05:21 PM

From personal experience, the removal of virus/malware from a machine can also remove legitamate file extensions along with it.

The easiest way out of this would be to recover your machine from a system image that had previously been created. Windows 7 has it's own imaging software that I have found quite reliable.

Do you get any other messages (error) since the removal of the malware?

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 03 August 2011 - 05:23 PM

Let's try this and see if it helps. Install "take ownership" to your context menu (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/)

Then go to \windows\system32\
right-click on slmgr.vbs and then choose "take ownership". Then go ahead and open a command prompt as admin and try to run the command. Does it work?

#6 JodyVL

JodyVL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:08 PM

bludgard: No other error messages at all, this is a first encounter.

Alan, thanks for that, I tried it, but it didn't work :(

Soooo frustrating!

#7 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:10 PM

Although everything in the following link may not apply to you, JodyVL, it might be something worth looking into. Group Policy can be exploited by malware and other means. Give it a good reading and verify that seetings are correct in registry and Group Policy. I have certainly experienced internet security settings reconfigured by virus/malware infection and it can be a *itc* trying to get it all sorted. Although I use to love playing with viruses/malware on virtual machines, I have since started going back to school and have probably gotten a little rusty. I do know that some infections, although brought under control, can leave some permanent effects on a machine.

If there is no information apropos to your situation within the website, possibly running sfc/ scannow wih install media attached or a repair install may help. If all else fails and this service is completely necessary to you, consider imaging your hard drive and reinstalling you system. If you ever want to go back, reimage the drive with the backup and carry on.

The link mentioned.

Regards,
Jody
(Imagine that). :dance:

#8 JodyVL

JodyVL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2011 - 12:58 AM

Hi Jody :) (Haha.. That is odd.)

Thanks for that link though unfortunately none of it helped :( ... And yeah the command is important to me... Well, more accurately, the slmgr /rearm command is important to me, if you know what I mean :P ... But oh gods I don't want to have to reinstall Windows! Backing up is no problem really, but what is a problem is all the programs I'd have to re-install... Such a process!

Just to note: The error message I get is not your standard Permission Denied error. It actually says it can't be opened because of my Internet Security Settings (the file is after all slmgr.VBS) ... (But yes, I tried lowering all my internet security tabs (Internet, Local, etc) to lowest, which not surprisingly didn't help.)

Here's an image of the error, unfortunately in Portuguese but you guys should recognise it:
Attached File  error.jpg   65.08KB   1 downloads

#9 JodyVL

JodyVL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2011 - 10:52 AM

Hey guys...

So now while browsing the net normally, the same error box popped up out of nowhere, with a different file not being allowed to run (adobeARM.exe):

Attached File  error2.jpg   68.96KB   2 downloads

Does this add any clues to this puzzle?

#10 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 04 August 2011 - 01:41 PM

Do you remember what this "malware" was that you removed off you pc? It looks like you may still be infected to some extent.

#11 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2011 - 01:42 PM

Looks as though you (or your malware) have/has disabled some of Windows processes and/or services, JodyCL.
Look to the follwing website to reset Windows 7 SP1 Services back to default settings. http://www.blackviper.com/2010/12/17/black-vipers-windows-7-service-pack-1-service-configurations/

Otherwise you could be in for the long haul of trying to figure out what all is askew with your operating system. If you have the time and patience to root around and experiment with all the various and many configuration settings, it will be a great learning experience for you. However, I can see that Adobe update has been disabled as well as Plug and Play service (from your description of problems with the rearm bit (hard to tell from a distance]).

#12 JodyVL

JodyVL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2011 - 12:51 AM

Hey guys! I found a fix!!!

:) (So happy right now)

For anyone who has the same problem, follow these instructions:

1. Create another user account(admin)
2. Switch to the newly-created user
3. Run regedit
4. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings
5. Right-click on "Internet Settings" -> export (to a public folder or root dir)
6. Switch back to your original account
7. Remove the the above keys (i.e. right click on "Internet Settings" and delete)
8. Run the exported .reg

*big sigh of relief*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users