Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer will not work

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gezkc

gezkc

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 03 August 2011 - 12:48 PM

Hi,

I've got a (fairly old) laptop, running Windows XP SP3. A few nights ago, I installed a new version of my Squeezebox Boom (music player) software and rescanned my entire music collection and from that point, I could not boot up the laptop at all. It kept freezing after the Windows "Welcome" screen and the following message box appeared: "Explorer.exe Applicaton error. The application failed to initialize properly (OXC0000006). Click on OK to terminate the application.
I eventually managed to boot up the laptop in safe mode to command prompt, ran CHKDSK /R and that seemed to fix the problem.

However, although the laptop now boots up normally, and works ok (I can access the internet, my emails and open files through specific programs (eg: Excel, Word etc), every time I right-click on Start and try to open Windows Explorer, Explorer fails to open and I get a message box saying "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close". It also gives me the option of telling Microsoft about the problem.

To be on the safe side, I've run a full virus check using Microsoft Security Essentials but nothing was found. Does anyone know what could be causing this problem?
Any help would be gratefully received!

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 03 August 2011 - 01:43 PM

I would remove Squeezebox since thats the last thing you installed that caused issues.

#3 JUICYboy

JUICYboy

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 03 August 2011 - 01:44 PM

Hello Sir,

Well it seems that there is something wrong with the actual files of the internet explorer.... The problem seem's to be caused by the program you installed maybe there is a conflict. (you might want to check there website for updates to see if they know about it :updates:)

There are many ways to fix this issue:

1) Easiest to do is go back to a restore point when computer was working okay...

2) Take a look at this: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/anti-virus/malwarebytes-anti-malware
there is also the free edition.

3)Install IE into a flash drive or media device. Remove old one in C-Panel and then reinstall from device.

4)Run in Safemode with Networking to see if it does not you will know it is a software that is crashing IE.

5)If all else fails download and use Firefox. http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/fx/
In my opinion way better interface than IE.....

Happy Computing :busy:

#4 gezkc

gezkc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2011 - 03:15 AM

Hi,
Thanks for your replies. I'll try de-installing Squeezebox to see if that changes anything.

Juicyboy,

I'll download the MalwareBytes software when I'm back at my home laptop later today. However, you mention installing IE on a Flash drive to fix the problem. It's not actually Internet Explorer (internet browser) that's not working - it's Windows Explorer (the file system browser - explorer.exe).

Is there anything else I should do after running MalwareBytes?

Thanks again,
gezkc

#5 gezkc

gezkc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:13 AM

Hi again,

Just to let you know, I managed to fix this issue by running SFC.EXE /SCANNOW from the Run prompt to look for and fix any Windows corrupted files. I then disabled script debugging in Tools/Internet explorer/Others.

It seems to have done the trick, because now my laptop is working perfectly again. I've also since re-enabled script debugging and it still works fine, so it must have been down to the corrupted windows files.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:14 AM

Glad to know that you fixed it. sfc /scannow would have been my next advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users