Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

sony vaio vgn-nr330E won't boot to any external drive, or internal optical drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 m_cap

m_cap

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 03 August 2011 - 11:49 AM

I have a sony vaio VGN-NR330E that I have just bought a new hard drive for (doing a fresh install of vista) and the internal optical drive spins up but won't boot off the cd, and after a blinking cursor says O/S not found, so i tried it on an external usb drive, and it didnt boot, same black screen followed by O/S not found. I tried booting from a knoppix live cd that worked on another computer and it wouldnt boot either. I have no idea of any what to do, since it wont boot off of an external HDD internal optical drive, external optical drive, and any help is greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:13 PM

What are the current boot options...as set in your BIOS?

http://www.ehow.com/how_8022156_change-bios-settings-sony-vaio.html

If not listed as the first boot option...it's unlikely that the system would boot from either drive.

Louis

#3 m_cap

m_cap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2011 - 04:18 PM

figured it out. the boot from external device was disabled in the bios, which i didnt notice at first.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2011 - 04:43 PM

I've done even stranger things on my system :), glad you resolved it, happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users