Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changed start-up programs and now, device drivers gone

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 compignorant

compignorant

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 03 August 2011 - 09:29 AM

I made a change to my start-up menu and as a result, the sound no longer works, I can no longer get on the internet, when I go into Device Manager, its empty. I tried system restore. It showed previous dates I could revert back to, but I wanted something more recent, so I went into "create a restore point" to set my own date and it set the date to the current date (at which everything is lost) and got rid of everything previous to that, so now I can't use that either. I tried using my memory stick to download files to the computer, but it doesn't recognize the stick in My Computer. What's funny is that when I use Malwarebytes, "H:\" drive shows up to be scanned. Also, I can backup Quickbooks because it too recognizes my memory stick. I am computer ignorant (as my name implies) so if I need to provide any more info, let me know. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:24 AM

What's funny is that when I use Malwarebytes, "H:\" drive shows up to be scanned. Also, I can backup Quickbooks because it too recognizes my memory stick. I am computer ignorant (as my name implies) so if I need to provide any more info, let me know. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

do you have All In One Printer / Memory Card Reader that plugged to your computer.

could you give more information about your computer, Brand and Model. does it PC or Laptop on your next post.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 03 August 2011 - 01:26 PM

I made a change to my start-up menu

And that change was..........??

#4 compignorant

compignorant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:35 PM

Sorry, I have a Toshiba Tecra laptop, Windows XP, Tablet PC Edition 2005, Version 2002, Service Pack 3, 504 MB RAM. I do not have /all in one printer/Memory card reader. The change to start-up was I unchecked everything so just the basic necessary things would start-up.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:44 PM

Please explain EXACTLY what you did, how you did it, and why you did it.

Edited by Allan, 03 August 2011 - 02:45 PM.

#6 compignorant

compignorant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:32 PM

I went into start-up programs, unchecked everything (trying to speed up computer), restarted computer, sound didn't work. Since I couldn't figure out what I had done, I went to system restore, created a restore point, computer eliminated all previous restore points and I was left with the current date to restore to. The computer seems to work fine otherwise. I just don't have sound, can't get onto the internet and can't use my memory stick. There could be other problems, but I haven't found them yet. Also no drivers whatsoever in the computer (unless I'm looking in the wrong place). Be patient with me...its my first time.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:38 PM

You went into start-up programs WHERE? Again, please explain exactly what you did. I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm trying to understand how you did what you did so we can undo it. Thank you.

#8 compignorant

compignorant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:50 PM

Start-->Run-->msconfig

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:55 PM

Okay, you should have said that to start with. What happens if you re-enable everything with msconfig?

For future reference, msconfig is a diagnostic utility and is not supposed to be used to make permanent changes to startup processes.

#10 compignorant

compignorant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2011 - 04:53 PM

The computer takes forever to start-up, a bunch of programs are in the taskbar that I've either not used in a while or never used before. Still no internet or sound. Device manager is still empty.

#11 compignorant

compignorant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 07:42 PM

Did everyone bail on me?

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:00 AM

It's just hard to understand what you've done or why you've done it. Just re-enable everything in msconfig.

#13 compignorant

compignorant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2011 - 12:50 PM

I'm sorry I'm not giving good enough info. I'm not very good at computers. I'm not sure what I did. I've always used msconfig to change startup items and this time I really screwed something up, but I'm not sure how. I have no idea how the drivers were all removed either. So if it's a lost cause and I need to contact my computer guy, let me know. Thanks.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,110 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2011 - 01:32 PM

If you used msconfig...to adjust startup items...you need to go back and undo whatever you did there.

Msconfig is intended to temporarily prevent items from starting, while the user attempts to troubleshoot certain issues. If you have drivers which now do not load...I would suspect that you created that via your manipulations in msconfig.

Do you get a message onscreen...when you boot the system?

Louis

#15 compignorant

compignorant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:56 PM

Sorry, not been able to get on here. No messages with startup. Pretty much everything basically works fine, except no contact with the outside world (no internet, doesn't recognize thumb drive, no sound).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users