Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Loud & Loose CD/DVD Drive

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Quevvy

Quevvy

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 03 August 2011 - 01:19 AM

My laptop is only a couple months old, so it's pretty new. Recently, when I've tried ripping CD's to my computer, the CD drive is very loud. However, this problem is solved by barely touching the outside of the drive, as if to stabilize it. I'm thinking the drive is just loose, and the speed of the CD is making it vibrate, but I'm not entirely sure.

Since this is a laptop, I'm not sure if it can be tightened by me. I can't really find anything online about this problem, so I'd appreciate any advice that any of you have.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 03 August 2011 - 05:20 AM

most if not all laptop drives are held in by one screw ,usually found on the bottom side of the laptop,about 5 inches in from the outside edge of the drive,but some are found under the keyboard or under a[ram or hdd] cover on the bottom ,what is the exact make and model # of you laptop

Edited by caperjac, 03 August 2011 - 05:22 AM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:57 AM

I've seen some Drive screws with a little tiny disk icon inscribed in the casing.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 03 August 2011 - 04:26 PM

Laptop Optical drives are looser in the case than Desktop drives and more susceptible to noise from out of balance disks.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 Quevvy

Quevvy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2011 - 03:23 AM

After a little investigating, I'm pretty sure the screw is underneath the keyboard surrounding area. I have an XPS17 machine, I believe.

#6 Quevvy

Quevvy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2011 - 03:24 AM

After a little investigating, I'm pretty sure the screw is underneath the keyboard surrounding area. I have an XPS17 machine, I believe.

#7 Quevvy

Quevvy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2011 - 03:24 AM

#8 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 04 August 2011 - 04:07 AM

i think rotor123 is correct ,and its likely not a loose screw anyway ,but if you can open it and holing the dvdrom tray move the whole casing of the dvd drive then it maybe a loose screw .but yeah the noisy spinning disk is common

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 04 August 2011 - 09:43 AM

Well if you need help finding it Dell has many of their maintenance manuals online. Here is one for one of the XPS17 models for example
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xpsL701X/en/sm/odd.htm#wp1192085
It looks like the screw is in the compartment with the memory on the bottom of the laptop since the directions for removing the drive say remove that cover.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#10 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 04 August 2011 - 02:58 PM

as your laptop is only a couple of month, I believe that laptop is under warranty, you could go to authorized service center of your laptop brand (DELL) to fix it, just to make sure that you not make any mistake when try to repair it.
back up all of your data first before bring it to Dell service center, you could ask them to RMA your laptop or just fix it.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users