Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Cannot update registry" error on W7 install

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 simpsonman3000

simpsonman3000

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 03 August 2011 - 01:00 AM

I put my copy of Windows 7 on a USB drive drive to install on my netbook and it gets all the way to the "installing updates" part when it says "Windows cannot update the registry" and the installation quits and rolls back the half-completed install.

I even press "do not update" at the very beginning when it asks if I want to install updates or not before the install.

I'm trying to install on a new partition from my current partition with Windows 7 starter because it doesn't appear that the netbook (Toshiba NB205-N230) has a USB boot option.

Anyone know what can be done to remedy this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 03 August 2011 - 05:58 PM

Hi, simpson.

Try plugging in your exteral (bootable) device > restart the machine > press F-12 at Toshiba splash screen > look for + Removable Devices.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,298 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2011 - 02:17 PM

Did you delete the preexisting partition/install...before trying this?

If not, you might try that before attempting the install.

Louis

#4 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2011 - 12:56 AM

Hi, simpson.

Try plugging in your exteral (bootable) device > restart the machine > press F-12 at Toshiba splash screen > look for + Removable Devices.

What an asinine post! :oopsign:

simpsonman wrote:
"I put my copy of Windows 7 on a USB drive drive to install on my netbook and it gets all the way to the "installing updates" part...."

And:
"...it doesn't appear that the netbook (Toshiba NB205-N230) has a USB boot option."

That threw me for a sec.

The machine defnately appears to have the ability to boot from a USB device. My bad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users