Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Think someone might be stealing my internet

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Alex510

Alex510

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 03 August 2011 - 12:14 AM

It's been taking ages to load 3 minute youtube videos the past couple weeks.. and browsing has been really slow. When I download something, I don't get full speeds. And when I look at my internet usage, my provider says I've been uploading 7GB per day for the past 2 weeks? I haven't uploaded anything at all, my computer is only on a couple hours a day. There are no other computers in my house, my router is for my PS3. And that's off all day as well. I have scanned for Viruses and nothing. My router has a password and it's WPA2 Type Security (I've tried changing the password and it's still slow). Any help will be appreciated. My router is a Linksys and only been having this problem past 2 weeks. I recently just moved here as well which is another reason I think someone might be stealing it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rain Storm

Rain Storm

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:40 PM

Hmmm. Try looking at the network to see if any other devices are connected.
1.If you're using Win Vista or Win 7, hit the start button
2. Type "Network" (without quotes)
3. Hit enter/ click Network at the top

Now look. Are there any devices on there that seem suspicious? Something that is not yours?

#3 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:42 PM

If your router is off and if you use WPA, I don't think that router would be active enough to accept connections.

Does your ISP issue you a static, never changing IP address? Or is it changing?
Could be that you inherited somebody's IP and you're being blamed.

Try this:
in the router go into the setup page and make sure your lease is renewed sometimes - enter 0 for 24 hours, for instance. Or multiply hours*60 for some other interval.
Save, wait a bit. Then go to another tab, I think it's status, write down the current external IP, then click disconnect and connect again and see if the new IP is issued and what it is. If it failed, you may have to contact your ISP.

#4 Cornnut

Cornnut

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:09 PM

Go to your router via internet and it should tell you what all is connected to the router.

#5 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,588 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2011 - 09:15 PM

Go to your router via internet

WHY? HOW?
If the router is any good and setup properly it'll be refusing unsolicited packets. That's usually done on the security tab (block WAN requests). But yes, can go into another tab and see connected devices.
Normally, the only way to access the router is to be connected by a wire (not wireless) and from the computer connect, then use the router's webpage application.

Edited by tos226, 05 August 2011 - 09:17 PM.

#6 Cornnut

Cornnut

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 07 August 2011 - 09:42 AM

Go to your router via internet

WHY? HOW?
If the router is any good and setup properly it'll be refusing unsolicited packets. That's usually done on the security tab (block WAN requests). But yes, can go into another tab and see connected devices.
Normally, the only way to access the router is to be connected by a wire (not wireless) and from the computer connect, then use the router's webpage application.

Type your ip address in your browser and it should take you to your router log in. user name is usually set to admin as a default. password could be a variety of things, really depends on your brand of router. a quick google search and you should be able to find your user name and password

#7 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,588 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 08:08 PM

Typing in router IP in the browser, I can assure you, is not going via the internet.. Getting into the router is just using the browser. Locally. Nothing to do with the internet.

It's the only reason I responded to your suggestion to "Go to your router via internet" since that's not the way it's done and we should not confuse the user who asked.

Let me ask you something else, regarding something else you just mentioned. How on earth would google know my password and user id to my router? They better not. I never published it on the web. Once again, I just can't see the logic in this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users