Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

loading win xp on to win 7

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sharpie

sharpie

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:56 PM

when I try to do it it says -check for viruses on your computer(did that) remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers(have no idea what a hard drive controller is) check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated(what?) run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.(i did do that)

But now I still cant load xp pro on to this laptop.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Larry D. Lawrence II

Larry D. Lawrence II

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 03 August 2011 - 12:34 AM

Sharpie,

Are you trying to dual boot this unit or are you trying to do a clean install of windows xp? Can you provide me with a model number or spec of the unit you are trying to do this on as it will help me determine the correct corse of action for you to take.

waiting on your reply your friend,
Larry
Larry D. Lawrence II
MCSE, MCP,ACMT, ACTC
Dell, HP, Toshiba, Apple, Lenovo, and IBM Certified Technician

#3 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 03 August 2011 - 05:24 AM

im just trying to install windows xp i dont win 7 on this laptop its just a toshiba sat.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 03 August 2011 - 04:23 PM

for future use just in case. Boot the Windows 7 and use the Toshiba create restore disks utility to make a set of restore disks. You may find that:

A. no XP drivers for the hardware
b. The Bios is not XP compatible. I have seen Toshiba's with one bios for XP and a different one for Vista for example.
c. If it is still under warranty and you have to send it back for repairs that you'll need to have windows 7 on it.

You can go here to the Toshiba Public pages to check for drivers from Toshiba.
https://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/pubLogin.jsp

Don't burn your bridges with no way to go back.

Edited by rotor123, 03 August 2011 - 04:25 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users