Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video card questions

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 norc

norc

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:15 PM

All right, so I'm going to be buying a new computer off amazon very soon, the one I was looking at was an Acer AM3910-U4012. Here are its specs

Intel core I3-550 3.2GHz
6GB of DDR3 RAM
1TB SATA Hard drive
Integrated Intel HD Graphics :\

The thing that I don't like is that the video card, if I should even call it that, is integrated with either the processor or the motherboard, I can't really tell what they're talking about. I've always just used linux on 10 year old desktops, so hardware was never a huge issue with me.

If I buy this one, I'd like to upgrade the video card. Someone on a different forum recommended this one - link, because I would like to play some newer games. Ideally I'd like to play Skyrim, but that might be a little extreme. If I could just play oblivion with these specs that would be perfect. I would dual-boot into Windows 7 for games and Ubuntu for everything else (because linux r00ls lol)

The thing is though, is it possible to remove this integrated HD Graphics thing? And is this card compatible with my computer? Also, (keep in mind I'm new at this), when the manual says it has available PCI slots, does that mean it has room for graphics cards? It says "Expansion slots include 1 PCI, 2 PCI-E x1 (1 available), and 1 PCI-E x16"

Sorry for asking a lot of questions, but if I can get this video card thing figured out, I'll be ready for purchasing.
Oh, and for a full run down of how this machine looks, its full specs, etc. here's a ton of information I found on a website - link. It also shows inside and the back panel.

Thanks so much in advance for any kind of direction! Clearly, I'm a bit lost on hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Larry D. Lawrence II

Larry D. Lawrence II

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:40 PM

[quotename='norc' timestamp='1312334131' post='2357124']
All right, so I'm going to be buying a new computer off amazon very soon, theone I was looking at was an Acer AM3910-U4012. Here are its specs

Intel core I3-550 3.2GHz
6GB of DDR3 RAM
1TB SATA Hard drive
Integrated Intel HD Graphics :\

The thing that I don't like is that the video card, if I should even call itthat, is integrated with either the processor or the motherboard, I can'treally tell what they're talking about. I've always just used Linux on 10 yearold desktops, so hardware was never a huge issue with me.

All ofthe core i3 processors have the embedded graphics capability however you arenever limited to just the built in graphics processing you can always add yourown PCI-E graphics solution from your favorite card manufacturer.

If I buy this one, I'd like to upgrade the video card. Someone on a differentforum recommended this one - link, because I would like to play some newer games.Ideally I'd like to play Skyrim, but that might be a little extreme. If I couldjust play oblivion with these specs that would be perfect. I would dual-bootinto Windows 7 for games and Ubuntu for everything else (because Linux r00lslol)

The thing is though, is it possible to remove this integrated HD Graphicsthing? (NO butit will automatically disable its self upon seeing a new video processor.) And is this card compatible with my computer? (Yes it is as it uses a single 16XPCI-e Slot)Also, (keep in mind I'm new at this), when the manual says it has available PCIslots, does that mean it has room for graphics cards? (YES if you use the 16XPCI-E slot) Itsays "Expansion slots include 1 PCI, 2 PCI-E x1 (1 available), and 1 PCI-Ex16"

Sorry for asking a lot of questions, but if I can get this video card thingfigured out, I'll be ready for purchasing.
Oh, and for a full run down of how this machine looks, its full specs, etc.here's a ton of information I found on a website - link. It also shows inside and the back panel.

Thanks so much in advance for any kind of direction! Clearly, I'm a bit lost onhardware.
[/quote]

Sorry about slaughtering your post with my text but it seemed the only way toclearly answer the questions you had.

Larry D. Lawrence II
MCSE, MCP,ACMT, ACTC
Dell, HP, Toshiba, Apple, Lenovo, and IBM Certified Technician

#3 norc

norc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:06 PM

So, with this open PCI slot, I can just slide my video card in, use that port on the back panel, maybe install drivers or whatever, and that's it?

Wow, that's awesome. Will it be ok with linux and everything? In my experience most hardware just plain works, but you never know. I just feel like this card (or any card) will come with a CD with drivers, and obviously those drivers won't be installable with linux. Meh, even if it doesn't, I can just use the built-in HDMI for ubuntu, and the crazy video card for the windows / games. Thanks a ton dude! :D

EDIT: Lol, you can configure linux to use it through BIOS, correct? I'm an idiot :P

Edited by norc, 02 August 2011 - 10:16 PM.

#4 Blaze413

Blaze413

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:33 PM

And I joined a little late but yes once u put the graphics card into the pciex16 slot it will overide the integrated automatically (can't uninstall integrated) so it really is just that easy u just download the latest drivers off the cards web site and u r good to go :)

#5 norc

norc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:59 PM

I do however have a few questions about HDMI connections though. How will it do carrying sound? I'd prefer if it only did video but that's not really how hdmi works right? I mean the computer has the 1/8" stereo TRS output that all have (the green one), and I can surprisingly have a great sound system with just that because I have a 3 subwoofers, 4 different pairs of speakers / satellites, a 12 track behringer 1202FX mixer & a 4 track stereo headphone amp / mini mixer which makes the one output on my mixer into four stereo outputs, plus multiple dials and faders to control the treble / bass on the audio signal before it even reaches the mixer, which has a great equalizer on it, and all this also hooks up to my amp (not my huge 1200 watt bass amp that I use for playing shows, that thing is much too precious to me), but my Epiphone studio 15B bass amp. Yeah, kind of a huge audio nerd lol. Once I start talking about it I just can't stop.

But now with this hdmi, will it try to carry sound to my monitor? I mean, I have a crappy 1/8" headphone thing on it, but with all the audio stuff I have I wouldn't want that to be my output, and I definitely don't want to use my built-in speakers on it (it's a 19" dynex 720P HDTV btw).

So, could I just mute it and use the output on the back panel no problem?

ALSO, real quick. I heard something about wattage for video cards. I'm pretty much clueless on that one haha.

Edited by norc, 02 August 2011 - 11:14 PM.

#6 Larry D. Lawrence II

Larry D. Lawrence II

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:29 PM

I do however have a few questions about HDMI connectionsthough. How will it do carrying sound? I'd prefer if it only did video butthat's not really how hdmi works right? I mean the computer has the 1/8"stereo TRS output that all have (the green one), and I can surprisingly have agreat sound system with just that because I have a 3 subwoofers, 4 differentpairs of speakers / satellites, a 12 track behringer 1202FX mixer & a 4track stereo headphone amp / mini mixer which makes the one output on my mixer intofour stereo outputs, plus multiple dials and faders to control the treble /bass on the audio signal before it even reaches the mixer, which has a greatequalizer on it, and all this also hooks up to my amp (not my huge 1200 wattbass amp that I use for playing shows, that thing is much too precious to me),but my Epiphone studio 15B bass amp. Yeah, kind of a huge audio nerd lol. OnceI start talking about it I just can't stop.

But now with this hdmi, will it try to carry sound to mymonitor? I mean, I have a crappy 1/8" headphone thing on it, but with allthe audio stuff I have I wouldn't want that to be my output, and I definitelydon't want to use my built-in speakers on it (it's a 19" dynex 720P HDTVbtw).

So, could I just mute it and use the output on the backpanel no problem? (in the short version YES you will have to manually selectthe sound output once the system is set up but using the built in sound cardyou can chose the output)

ALSO, real quick. I heard something about wattage for videocards. I'm pretty much clueless on that one haha. (The included power supply byAcer's parts website lists this system as having a 550 watt power supply thisshould be fine unless going to a very high end video card.)

[/quote]

Edited by Larry D. Lawrence II, 02 August 2011 - 11:30 PM.

Larry D. Lawrence II
MCSE, MCP,ACMT, ACTC

#7 norc

norc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:41 PM

Very nice! This is great news. This was the card I ended up picking, as the system requirements for oblivion list this card as being able to play on "Extremely High", and it's pretty cheap. link. Its recommended power supply is 400 watts, so I should be more than fine. Might even check out buying a nice sound card later on so I can really get some great sound going. Although I still don't have much of an idea of PCI slots and the such. Very last question, the PCI-e slot in this image: Posted Image

looks kinda small compared to the image of the video card (which is listed as PCI-express, which i'm assuming is PCI-e:
Posted Image

I'm assuming it'll be pretty easy to install, but it just doesn't look like it really fits :\

For the sound card, would that be through BIOS? Either way, as long as I can somehow. Both windows and linux allow for easy system tweaking.

Edited by norc, 02 August 2011 - 11:49 PM.

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2011 - 12:22 AM

The specs on your card from the link provided:

Bus: PCI-Express 2.0 x16 RAMDAC: 400 MHz

This tells you that it goes in the PCIe x16 slot
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 norc

norc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2011 - 12:27 AM

Yeah, I figured that much out. It's just that it has this very large chip coming out of it and the PCI-e slot looked sorta small in that pic.. Nevermind, PCI-e x16 should go straight into PCI-e x16, right? And will the expansion slot be wide enough for it do you think?

Posted Image

Edited by norc, 03 August 2011 - 12:31 AM.

#10 Larry D. Lawrence II

Larry D. Lawrence II

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2011 - 12:29 AM

In this picture the PCI-E 16 slot is covered up partaly by the heatsink fan Cowl. I have looked at the repair guide from acer and can asure you that it does have a full size PCI-16X slot. Also if you would send a link to me in a pm when you are ready to buy this I will make sure you are not getting a striped down / lower spec "Special unit" like some companies get IE... Wal-Mart because sometimes these builds are missing features that the full units have. I have Access to the full configuration database from Acer directly thanks to my job. " I offer this in the hope of eliminating suprizes" IE.. this is not the memory that was on the spec sheets. this is how some companies get away with offering the same computer model for a lower price. IE... Best Buy among others
Larry D. Lawrence II
MCSE, MCP,ACMT, ACTC

#11 norc

norc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2011 - 12:38 AM

ok i sent it

#12 Larry D. Lawrence II

Larry D. Lawrence II

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2011 - 01:01 AM

i hope that helps. I've got to get to bed but i'll check this post in the morning for any updates
Larry D. Lawrence II
MCSE, MCP,ACMT, ACTC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users