Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cause of the problem?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tsmoore88

tsmoore88

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:28 PM

I am working on a friends PC, he brought it to me with the CPU and the heat sink in a plastic bag...not a good way to start things out. According to him a blade from the fan on top of the heat sink broke off and rocketed into the CPU destroying it. He of course tried to yank it apart and in the course of doing that discovered a small burn in the CPU socket, it blackened and warped the socket in only one receptacle- nonetheless the mobo is fried as well as the CPU.

Getting a replacement motherboard and CPU aren't the difficult part, my only real problem is discerning the reason this happened in the first place- all signs (to me at least) point to a short, and in that instance where did it come from? the power supply? This leads me to the question of whether the power supply is compromised or not- which would drive the cost of repair up even further.

Is there any way that I can find out what happened and where that short came from (if that is indeed what burned the socket and cpu)?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:40 PM

First to say,"Gotta see pics of this".

I don't see this happenening the way your friend laid out the sequence of events.

"discovered a small burn in the CPU socket, it blackened and warped the socket in only one receptacle"---What does this mean? Just one pin?

What causes a burned socket? Usually bad contacts, overvoltage+overclocking (cough, Foxconn Socket 1155, cough).

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 tsmoore88

tsmoore88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:19 PM

Yeah, just one pin is burned but while I was taking pictures I discovered that there is actually a pin to the left of the burn that is stuck in the socket. I never put HP past anything (I have had bad experiences with their hardware choices before), but I think this may be over voltage from a power surge...hell, for all I know he opened it up when it was still plugged in and on. My friend doesn't really know his way around a computer so I think he could have yanked the heat sink and CPU out without knowing he was committing PC homicide.

Is there a way that I could test the power supply to know if it is fried?

Posted Image
Posted Image
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users