Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Media Edition repair stuck on Please Wait...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Pawl

Pawl

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:48 PM

While working with a Malware Response Tech, I did a repair install for Windows XP Media Center, and the install has frozen for about 3 days. The install froze just before the end when a black screen with the Windows logo and the words "Please Wait..." appears. There was an error that had popped up. It was related to a .dll file, but I did not write it's name down.

Originally, I was having issues with my laptop not accessing the internet due to a damaged Winsock Provider Catalog. This occurred just after I attempted to update my laptop through Windows update. I stopped the update, because the update had appeared to freeze while installing ".NET framework 3.5." I began working with Catbyte from the Malware Response Team. We found that I had acquired a TDS4@MBR rootkit virus. Here is a link to all that we did http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic408652.html

If someone could help me with figuring out what to do, that would rock.

Thank You!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:08 AM

My understanding...is that you do not have sufficient free space on the C: partition...for Windows to function effectively. My experience is that Windows needs 13-20% of the C: partition to be free space...in order for Windows to do its job properly.

If such is the case...I suggest that you remove the hard drive, attach it to a second system temporarily...and then move all video/graphics and other files from the C: partition. I would follow that up with running the chkdsk /r command on that drive.

Once those two things are done, I would move the drive back to the system it belongs in...and see if it reacts normally.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 03 August 2011 - 06:11 AM.

#3 Pawl

Pawl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:06 PM

Hey Louis,

This is Paul. Just before attempting to repair Windows XP, I had deleted World of Warcraft; which freed up 36 gigabytes of space. It's about 50% of the hard drive. Although, I did not run any defrags or anything on the drive afterward.

I'm using a Dell Inspiron E1705 laptop.

Thank you for taking a look at this.

#4 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:57 PM

Hi Pawl,

What happens when you try to boot normally, where does it hang (same place?)?

I've had a similar problem recently and it was due to a scratched install disc. Inspect the disc that was used to repair the installation, clean it as best you can, and try another repair install. Watch the screen to see if all goes smoothly!

@About the .Net Framework...I also had trouble installing 3.5, but version 4 worked fine.

Let us know how things are going!

bloopie

Edited by bloopie reborn, 03 August 2011 - 10:59 PM.

#5 Pawl

Pawl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:57 PM

When booting the laptop normally, windows loads fine. With 39gigs of free space (about 60%), I ran an error check on the hard drive and did a defrag. Both went smoothly.
I went to do another repair install according to the instructions here http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm#RI. But I got stuck on the same window. The "Please Wait..." window appears after the install completes, and the laptop is automatically restarted. While Windows loads, this screen appears.
I wrote down the error messages that appears during the repair.

"ngen.exe - Entry Point Not Found:
The procedure entry point GetRequestedRuntimeVersion could not be located in the dynamic link library mscoree.dll"

and

".NET Framework Initialization Error:
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\mscorwks.dll could not be loaded"

The first error message written above appeared numerous times, and while I kept clicking ok, there appeared to be a different error messaged that came up. Unfortunately, I had clicked ok before writing it down.

#6 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 04 August 2011 - 10:17 PM

Hi again,

Forgive me if I haven't read enough of your previous posts, but have you run the system file checker or SFC scan?

Run System File Checker

Make sure you have your XP Disc handy

The System File Checker (Sfc.exe) utility is used for scanning protected operating system files to verify their version and integrity. If System File Checker detects any operating system file with the incorrect file version, it replaces the corrupted file with a file that has the correct version from the Windows installation source files.

• Insert your XP Installation Disk, and hold the Shift button on your keyboard while you close the CD tray for about ten seconds during and after to stall the disk from autorun...or just close any window that opens by inserting the disc.
  • Then click Start>Run and then highlight and copy the text in the codebox below, then paste it into the open Runbox.
sfc /scannow
  • Then press enter

Note: You may need to be present at the machine to "Copy from CD" when asked.

Then reboot and report any problems (same or different) on the machine.

Please let us know how it goes!

bloopie

#7 Pawl

Pawl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2011 - 05:04 PM

I ran the Run System File Checker, and it went smoothly. There were not any pop ups of any sort/errors. After a restart, I attempted to connect to the internet but no success. I went ahead and attempted to do the Windows XP repair again, but the same errors occurred ending with the same stuck screen.

Do you know if it is possible to download the .NET Frameworks 3.0-4.0 and save it to a jump drive? So that I would be able to transfer it to my laptop.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2011 - 05:20 PM

Any of the NET Framework packages...can be downloaded and treated like any other file, using the MS Download Cetner .

Louis

#9 Pawl

Pawl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2011 - 09:51 PM

Well... I attempted to install the .NET Framework 3.0 and 3.5, but I couldnt get either to work. NET Framework 3.0 requires an internet connection, and Microsoft doesnt offer a complete install w/o having to connect to their site (well couldnt find one). 3.5 requires 3.0 Service Pack 2 to be installed. Also, each time I attempt to install the 3.5, the error message below comes up during the install but does proceed anyway and ends up saying it requires 3.0 SP 2.

ngen.exe - Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point GetRequestedRuntimeVersion could not be located in the dynamic link library mscoree.dll.

I have a 2.0 Service Pack installer. Should I uninstall my 2.0 SP 2 and reinstall it?

#10 sundavis

sundavis

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,708 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2011 - 06:49 AM

http://www.aboutonlinetips.com/repair-remove-and-uninstall-net-framework/

http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=260229

:thumbup2:

#11 Pawl

Pawl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2011 - 11:21 PM

Gasp.... I am able to get on the internet now. I ran the program given in the instructions at http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=260229, and got on the internet through connecting with an ethernet cord. After running the install for .NET Framework 1.1, I had connection but went ahead and uninstalled the 2.0 SP 2 version. I attempted to run windows update and got this error message:

The requested lookup key was not found in any active activation context.

I also get this when trying to enter a web address in the web address bar in Internet Explorer, also when trying to download anything.

I'm going to download Security essentials and Internet explorer 8 to transfer the install to the laptop. I've read from googling the issue and saw multiple forums that said it had worked for them. (also it needs to be upgraded)

Edited by Pawl, 09 August 2011 - 11:22 PM.

#12 sundavis

sundavis

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,708 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2011 - 12:24 AM

http://chriscoyier.net/2008/10/01/the-requested-lookup-key-was-not-found-in-any-active-activation-context/

#13 Pawl

Pawl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2011 - 12:38 PM

Yay! It works. I attempted what that link suggested, but could not find Internet Explorer 7 or any other in Add/Remove Programs. I had even clicked on show all updates. I then went to enter in the command in Start/Run, but a message came up saying no file existed. I downloaded Internet Explorer 7 and transferred the installer to my laptop. I installed it and restarted. When Windows came back up, I uninstalled Internet Explorer 7 using the
"%windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe" command in Start/Run and restarted. When Windows came back, the internet worked great.

I ran windows update and made it through most of the updates. When I updated back to Windows XP Service Pack 3, the install went all the way to the end when the "Please Wait..." Windows screen comes up and froze. I restarted the laptop, and when Windows came, there were 3 command prompts that ran. Looks fishy but could be due to all the updates.

I have to leave for a few days and will mess with this when I come back.

Thank you Catbyte, Hamluis, Bloopie Reborn, and Sundavis for the taking time you set aside to help me. You all rock!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users