Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive clicking

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 The Backbeat

The Backbeat

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:27 PM

Ok, here's what's happening: My Dell Latitude D830 using XP pro sp3 had what I thought was a dying hard drive. To be specific the Drive started what I thought was the "Click of Death". So I purchased a new hdd to take its place and upgraded from an 80G seagate to a 250G WD drive. I used the free version of Acronis to clone the drive and you guessed it. The new drive makes the same noise. Specifically it sounds like a camera shutter click. Here is the sequence 1)drive comes up to speed. 2)Click click...a few seconds later Click click....Click 3)Drive spins down. 4) repeat process. My question to all is: Is it possible to copy over such an error from one drive to another? By the way I have downloaded WD diags and it passes! I have run Microsofts drive utility tests and vola no issues! No bad sectors no errors of any kind! Anybody got any ideas? suggestions?OBWY this is all happening when idle.

Edited by The Backbeat, 02 August 2011 - 04:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Larry D. Lawrence II

Larry D. Lawrence II

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:40 PM

You may want to check the motherboard for capacitor distention / swelling as this is sometimes the case of this error. you also will want to check the computer usb ports to make sure that no damage exists as a shorted usb port will put the computer in a no POST mode. (Black screen only after dell logo splash) If the computer makes it past post try running the diagnostics from the bios. post your results here and I'll see how i can help.
Larry D. Lawrence II
MCSE, MCP,ACMT, ACTC
Dell, HP, Toshiba, Apple, Lenovo, and IBM Certified Technician

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users