Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outpost Firewall Trial Version

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 felinepeachy

felinepeachy

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 15 January 2006 - 12:53 PM

Goodmorning Everyone,

Okay, this may be a dumb question but I downloaded Outpost Firewall Trial version and a window popped up this morning telling me I only had five days left to use it. It is giving me the option to buy it. It works great for me but I thought it was freeware when I downloaded it. In anyones opinion, is it worth buying? $39.95 seems high just for firewall but I am only comparing to the crappy Nortons Security Suite that I finally took off. What a waste of money that was.

[Moderator edit: moved post to more appropriate forum. jgweed]

Edited by jgweed, 15 January 2006 - 04:57 PM.

Criminals thrive on the indulgence of society's understanding!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 15 January 2006 - 01:56 PM

I've tried Outpost, and the freeware I thought it was also prompted me ... to uninstall ... in favor of this one:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Sygate_Personal_...Free_d3356.html

Sygate was bought out recently by Symantec (Norton) but this firewall works just fine. free. imho
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 15 January 2006 - 04:31 PM

I have used Sygate for several years without any problems, and it has many good features: you can manage permissions by program/application, review activity on logs, and has a "whois" and backtrace function.
Other members prefer Zone Alarm. Either of these does the job and is FREE.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 15 January 2006 - 04:32 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 15 January 2006 - 05:31 PM

I did. Pay for Outpost, that is. Tried both Zone Alarm and Sygate, but I prefer Outpost to them. Didn't like Zone Alarm at all. Horrible firewall, slowed down my computer to a crawl. Sygates a much better firewall but still lacked a few essential features for me. Outpost, besides being lighter on the system, also give much more finer control over what it does.

You can always try out Zone Alarm, or preferably Sygate, and see if it is enough for you, otherwise buy Outpost. Needless to say, any of those will are better than the Norton crap.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users