Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No signal to monitor (sometimes)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sour Bacon

Sour Bacon

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:14 PM

When I start up my computer, my monitor sometimes does not receive a signal from the computer and does not turn on. After a few times of powering off the computer and retrying, the signal will go through and the monitor turns on and works great. I don't want to leave my computer on all day long, but i also don't want to turn it off and go through this hassle every time I turn it on. Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

Windows XP

Edited by hamluis, 02 August 2011 - 03:19 PM.
Moved from XP to External Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:26 PM

Monitor or video card(more than likely video card). Do you have spares to troubleshoot with?

#3 Sour Bacon

Sour Bacon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:45 PM

I swapped the monitor and the same thing happened so I know it's not the monitor.

#4 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:09 PM

As I suspected. Then it's your vid card or mobo if it's online video.

This should be moved to the hardware section as it's not an XP problem.

Edited by .X., 02 August 2011 - 03:13 PM.

#5 Sour Bacon

Sour Bacon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:44 PM

When I start up my computer, my monitor sometimes does not receive a signal from the computer and does not turn on. After a few times of powering off the computer and retrying, the signal will go through and the monitor turns on and works great. I don't want to leave my computer on all day long, but I also don't want to turn it off and go through this hassle every time I turn it on. I have swapped out the monitor and I still have the same issue. I am posting this in both the internal and external hardware sections because I am not sure if it is a video card issue or a monitor issue. Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

MOD EDIT; Merged from Internal Hardware One Topic is enough

Edited by boopme, 02 August 2011 - 06:14 PM.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:28 PM

IT can also be caused by failing capacitors on the motherboard. If you look at the attached picture you'll see how the good ones are flat on top and the bad ones are bulged and leaking. Sometimes they bulge on top without leaking too.

A good look at the motherboard for that problem. Mostly shows around the CPU and sometimes around the memory or between the PCI slots.

A good shop can fix that type of problem. I did a Dell SX280 this morning. 4 bad ones

Edited by rotor123, 02 August 2011 - 05:32 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users