Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

KVM Switch AND Router

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 untechy

untechy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:34 PM

Hi all - great forum - thanks for being here.
I'm not totally computer illiterate, but close. Hope I can word my question clearly enough to get some suggestions.

I have two computers and since I'm short on space and love my monitor, mouse, and keyboard, would like to share them with both computers.
Would love to share printer as well.
But . . . don't want them to share anything else. Not even e-mail.

My goal is to have one 'exclusively' for work (from home)and one for personal ( at home as well).
Since I would never be using both at once, I thought the KVM would be great idea.
But, not sure if compatible with router. .

The current work computer is running Win Xp ( 32 bit )The other will be running Win 7. If I ever take it out of the box LOL
Will likely use it ( the Win 7 for work) and the older XP for personal.
I have a lynksys router - still in the box.

Thanking you in advance
Untechy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dirtdog900

dirtdog900

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:23 PM

The KVM's I'm familiar with usually only share Keyboard/Mouse/Monitor. Your LAN connections are usually still independent of each other, unless I'm missing something with your setup?

#3 untechy

untechy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:38 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. .

I'll give it a try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users