Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB ports

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SyianZi

SyianZi

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:12 PM

Alright, I'm having an issue with my computers USB points, front and back. I plugged my USB game pad in yesterday and found that it lit up and worked, then, out of no where it lost power and came back on again. (It's shaped like a PS2/3 controller so the light in the middle lights up). Anyway, I have tried 2 different controllers, and they both do the same thing, accept with the second controller, it's when I push a button, it kinda freezes then turns off. This happens so much that it eventually doesn't come back on. I have recently just gotten a USB mouse and USB keyboard too, which work, apart from when I'm typing, it may hold the same letter for a period of time (fffffffffff).I have unplugged the mouse and keyboard, and even reformatted my computer, and my controll pad is still having the same issue. Prior to these events, I have put in a new Heatsink, and I'm unsure if thats the problem. I don't know if the overall problem is lack of power from my PSU, so I've come here for help.

Thanks

System Information:

Spoiler

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 90awdturbo

90awdturbo

• Validating
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:07 PM

What type of components are you running? Ex. CPU, MotherBoard, PSU...
"Your biggest critics are your best friends" -Benjamin Franklin

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:31 PM

Try going into device manager, select "USB ROOT HUB", click the "power" tab, and see how much juice your USB devices are pulling. Are you running an external USB hub by chance?

See if any devices are pulling 500ma. or any combination of devices is pulling 500ma or greater on a hub. You might get off easy by rearranging your USB devices to even out the load assuming there is a problem.

Edited by dpunisher, 02 August 2011 - 03:37 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 SyianZi

SyianZi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:43 AM

Alright I've done a bunch more tests. I've currently got that second controller in, and the light that went off on that was because of a macro button aparently. So I wont touch that. I've got my new mouse, keyboard, usb speakers and this second control pad in and everything is working fine aparently. So for now I will leave it as is. I'm going to order another control pad which I like, because the first one I have (Thats causing me the problems) is battered to hell. This topic can be locked/deleted if you want. I've done a lot of checks too so your advice came in handy, thank you, I will keep an eye on my power and if I recieve any problems with this new controller I will write out everything in detail.

Thanks again, you guys are great.

System Information:

Spoiler

#5 SyianZi

SyianZi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:08 AM

Alright, I had 2 controllers. A blue PS2 shaped controller that wasn't in good condition. That controller was the one I wanted to work, but kept turning off. I could tell because when I was playing, I would use the analogue stick to move around, and the light in the center of the analogue sticks would go off, none of the buttons would work and I would have to wait a few seconds before I could put it back on. (This control pad has now been thrown out)

Then there is the other control pad I had, shaped like a PS1 pad without the analogue sticks. This seems to work fine. I've been playing Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst for the past 5 days without any problems with this control pad.

I've just recently ordered a new control pad, a PS2 shaped controller. (I want one of these to work because I need the analogue stick and D-pad at the same time to navigate 2 sets of menus in game). Anyway, I got it in the post today and plugged it in, started playing just fine, and then eventually the controller went off. I put the analogue sticks on again and kept playing, and it went off again a few minutes later. It's gotten to that point now that if I restart my computer and put it in it'll work fine and slowly but surely just go off.

So power, I went into device manager and located this controller, (I have 7 USB Root Hubs >.>) it was at 500mA. I also found (I think) my keyboard and mouse which are 100mA each. Now, this new controller is 500mA, and so is the PS1 styled controller. So I don't understand, if they're both using 500mA, why the one I want to work doesn't work. Does it display 500mA but use more? or require more and it's not given?

The PS2 styled controller used to work on my system fine months ago, it's just now with all these problems I've been having since my processor started overheating that I've had to start fixing everything. Right now my temps are at 60 47 50 57, and that's with this browser open and PSO:BB running.

System Information:
4GB RAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 2.66GHZ (Arctic Cooler Pro 7 heatsink)
Nvidia 8800GT
Asus p965 Commando Motherboard
500GB Sata HDD
550w PSU
Ralink Network Card

System Information:

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users