Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A fun thing: System starts to hang shortly after startup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 professorchaos

professorchaos

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:34 PM

I was having no problems of the sort yesterday at around this time, but last night I was using Sony Acid Pro 7.0e when suddenly it became unresponsive. I tried to use the Task Manager to kill the process as I had before when such issues had occurred (the program is very processor-intensive), but then the Task Manager started to hang, then explorer, and then everything. Ever since, no matter which applications I initiate after startup (startup proceeds fine until after logging in), the whole system eventually (read: quite quickly) starts to hang progressively in this manner.

I haven't installed anything new recently or made any vital changes. Chkdsk ran automatically, repaired a few things, but didn't solve the problem. I tried booting into safe mode, but it fails while loading drivers and restarts. I'm on whatever Vista Home version with all the latest important updates installed.

Thanks for your time and assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 professorchaos

professorchaos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:36 PM

I forgot to mention: I also ran Dell Diagnostics and all tests passed.

Machine is a Dell XPS M1530

Edited by professorchaos, 02 August 2011 - 01:54 PM.

#3 professorchaos

professorchaos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:11 PM

Never mind, traced it to a particular .torrent file that was causing trouble, points to deeper hard disk issues, which is typical; I'm on my fourth hard drive of this computer. Anyone have any ideas why my drives might keep failing?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users