Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Java going cache crazy......

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JannEd

JannEd

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:20 PM

Long time, no write!! I don't do well in 110 deg weather, it makes me insane. Anyhow, I recently uninstalled Firefox and reinstalled it with the new ver. I did the same with Java because I found three separate folder that held Java cache: .....user/jann/app data/sun/deployment/cache/6.0; also right under deployment is: system cache/java/6.0; also in Windows/sun/java/cache/6.0. They all had those 67 or whatever subsub folders. Before I uninstalled Java there were files in all three caches, the same files. After I uninstalled and reinstalled, the sub folder in Windows (specifically the 6.0) is no longer there. The other two are and are always empty even though I use Java sites a few times a day. I DID go into Control Panel and looked around in the Java there to no avail. Sooo most of you know I mostly know what I am doing so you know I did all the basic stuff. Perhaps I should uninstall it, go to my registry and delete all instances (keys) referring to Java????? Or try reinstalling again. I find I am unable to call it up in Pogo.com. I am on dial-up at home and maybe this is the problem. I will be on DSL tomorrow so I can see if it loads then. In the meantime, suggestions.......thank you!! HI LOUIS!!!!

Jann the wordy woman

Win XP PRO, Toshiba Satellite CPU 420@1.60GHz Ram 448 MB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:34 AM

Hello JannEd,

• You should download the most recent version of Java, Version 6 Update 26, from Here.
  • Next, remove all older versions via Add/Remove Programs by going to Start, Set Program Access and Defaults, Change or Remove Programs, and remove all older versions of Java listed.

In addition, you could use JavaRA just to make sure that all old Java has been deleted:

• Please download JavaRa to your desktop and unzip it to its own folder.
  • This program will remove older, often insecure versions of Java that are present on your system.
  • Run JavaRa.exe and click Remove Older Versions.
  • Accept any prompts.
  • A list of all versions removed will be displayed in a text file.
  • Close the program and restart your computer.

I would NOT manually edit your computer's registry.

I hope this helps,

Regards,
Artrooks

Regards,
Brooks

#3 JannEd

JannEd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:52 AM

Hello JannEd,

• You should download the most recent version of Java, Version 6 Update 26, from Here.
  • Next, remove all older versions via Add/Remove Programs by going to Start, Set Program Access and Defaults, Change or Remove Programs, and remove all older versions of Java listed.

In addition, you could use JavaRA just to make sure that all old Java has been deleted:

• Please download JavaRa to your desktop and unzip it to its own folder.
  • This program will remove older, often insecure versions of Java that are present on your system.
  • Run JavaRa.exe and click Remove Older Versions.
  • Accept any prompts.
  • A list of all versions removed will be displayed in a text file.
  • Close the program and restart your computer.

I would NOT manually edit your computer's registry.

I hope this helps,

Regards,
Artrooks

I did all that BEFORE I posted here. I have been editing my registry manually since 1995. When I got here (at my daughter's where there the DSL is) I made sure it wasn't because of my dialup speed and it wasn't. So I went on Java and found the registry keys I needed to delete. Uninstalled then reinstalled (latest version) and here
I am, all solved. Thank you though for answering me. I am sure another user will find this extremely useful.

Jann, still working on the first cup of java.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users