Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer is still acting up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sethw3172

Sethw3172

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:29 AM

So I have a Toshiba Satellite L355D with a 500 GB hard drive and 3 GB of ram on Ubuntu. About 4 months ago I had a 320 GB hard drive running Windows Vista and was having the problems with my computer's screen just going blank. I would have to turn it off then turn it back on and it would work for about 4 hours before it did it again. It was also running really hot. One day it wouldn't even boot. Ended up being the Hard drive so replaced it and switched to Linux.

It still runs hot but I have it under control with my inter cooler but it still just goes blank and no matter what I do it won't come back up till i shut it off then turn it back on. Another thing is sometimes when I turn it on it will boot up but the screen will freeze or just go blank. and regardless of what I do it won't start working properly. I usually have to turn it on 3 times before it loads up correctly.

The only thing I know of that needs replaced now is the battery, but i don't see that having this effect.

Any help would be great. Thanks

Edited by Sethw3172, 02 August 2011 - 12:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:50 PM

Running hot can be caused by several thing in a Toshiba.

Most common is a build up of crud on the heat sink.
If the fan races and almost no air comes out then it is plugged up.

I've also seen two in the last year that ran hot, they had defective heatpipes in the Heat sink assembly.
This case the airflow is fine, but comes out cool.

Another common cause of running hot. Putting the laptop on something soft and therefor blocking the air inlet on the bottom.

The two I mentioned that had defective heat sink assembly's they both killed their motherboards. Fortunately they were both under warranty so I was able to order the motherboards from Toshiba and replace them under warranty for the customers.

You can go here to check for warranty
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/globalEntitlement.jsp?nav=Warranty

The L355D line of laptops is a decent laptop. Don't kill it with overheating.

Edited by rotor123, 02 August 2011 - 04:52 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Sethw3172

Sethw3172
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:34 AM

Definitely will. The inter cooler does the job for now so it won't kill over. Do you know anything about how it's booting and how it just shuts off?

#4 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 05 August 2011 - 09:12 AM

Definitely will. The inter cooler does the job for now so it won't kill over. Do you know anything about how it's booting and how it just shuts off?

It looks like the excessive heat has already taken a toll on your motherboard, as rotor said the heatsink assembly not working correctly can destroy a computer. Best thing to do is look up the warranty, or have someone repair it before it damages the motherboard ever further. The cooling pad is designed to work with the laptops cooling system, not to work for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users