Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Security Do I Need?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dan9119

dan9119

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 15 January 2006 - 11:30 AM

I am a novice at computers and internet surfing. What protection do I really need from the big bad internet. Like everyone else, I would prefer the programs to be free, but would be willing to pay if that is what is needed to keep my system safe from viruses and such. I run Windows XP home edition and use my computer mostley for e-mails and surfing websites for information and entertainment. Any suggestions? Right now I am leanig towards AVG and ZoneAlarm and anything else if needed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 15 January 2006 - 01:03 PM

Free Antivirus':
(Choose only one)
Antivir
Avast Free
AVG Free
Bitdefender Free

Free Firewalls:
(Choose only one)
ZoneAlarm Free
Sygate Personal Firewall
Outpost Firewall Free
Kerio

Free Anti-spyware Programs:
(I use all of them)
aČ free
ewido security suite
Ad-Aware
Spybot S&D

These 2, will help prevent spyware/malware from being installed in the first place:
Spywareblaster
SpywareGuard

These programs, updated and used regularly, will do a lot to keep your computer clean of spyware, trojans, keyloggers, browser hijackers, etc...

When installing ewido security suite, under Additional Options uncheck:
Install background guard
Install scan via context menu

Important:
Please read this tutorial on Spybot S&D before using it. Spybot can do SERIOUS damage, if not used properly.

Helpful Tutorials:
Using Ad-Aware SE
Using SpywareBlaster
Using SpywareGuard
Using Ewido

Edited by tg1911, 15 January 2006 - 01:04 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,780 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 15 January 2006 - 04:23 PM

In addition, use common sense, practice safe surfing, be careful what you download, keep Windows and Internet Explorer current with the latest critical security updates from Microsoft and do some reading on how to protect yourself.

Prevention and Protection Tips:
Read "How to Prevent Spyware".
Read "Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe".

Increase Your Computer Security
Read "Safer Settings for Internet Explorer for SP1 & SP2" and "How to Configure Enhanced Security Features for Internet Explorer in XP SP2".
Read "Limited-User Security on Windows XP" and "Create Your Accounts" to learn how to set up a user account instead of administrator to prevent malware from installing itself on your system.
Read "Improve Your Security with Windows Security Checklist XP" by Larry Stevenson [aka: Prince_Serendip].

Confused about which apps are good or not? Read "Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products"
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 dan9119

dan9119
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 15 January 2006 - 10:56 PM

Thanks for all the info on how to protect my system. Can anyone explain to me why there are numerous Microsoft updates that I have had to install manually even though my computer is set up to download these updates automatically, or so I am under the impression that it is. Any explanations?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users