Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 - files moved being marked as hidden

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GregBar

GregBar

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:52 PM

I'm using 64 bit Windows 7 w/service pack 1. Within the last two months, whenever I move files (it started as photos, but now it can be any file) the files are somehow being marked as hidden. Under 'Folder Options' I have to turn on the option to see hidden files, then untick the 'Hidden' box under file attributes on the affected file. It seems that the files that this happens to are random. For example, I can move a group of photos from the 'Pictures' library folder to another folder on the hand drive, and only some of those pictures will wind up being hidden after moved.

While this may seem like a minor annoyance, I am ready to perform a system recovery to fix it, but I figured I ought to ask the pros first before I make work for myself.

I hope I explained myself clearly, and thanks for any help anyone can offer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:37 PM

That is bizarre...never heard of behavior like that before. A Google search was not very fruitful, unfortunately.

Honestly, if it were me, I'd just reinstall Windows. But if others have any bright ideas, it couldn't hurt to try.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 GregBar

GregBar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:49 PM

I thought I'd follow up with this problem in the hopes that someone someday might need it. As it turns out, I did a system restore on my computer and got it back to it's original state and the problem went away. I even did all the Windows updates and the problem didn't return.

Then I reinstalled my antivirus program (McAfee) and a couple updates from them later, the problem was back. So I decided to turn off real-time scanning and try moving some files and the problem didn't occur. So I am satisfied that turning off real-time scanning whenever I have to move files (as opposed to copying them then deleting the original) will be a workaround. And it goes without saying that I'm going to be looking for a new antivirus program next time.

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:03 PM

Glad you figured it out. :)

And it goes without saying that I'm going to be looking for a new antivirus program next time.

And if it were me, that would be sooner rather than later. McAfee gets a :thumbdown: from me.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#5 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:43 AM

McAfee gets a :thumbdown: from me.

yap. I'll second that.... <_<