Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer not booting up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tyrion

Tyrion

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:11 PM

Hello,

So I bought a computer two weeks ago, had them install all the parts etc. I brought it home and started it up. It ran for about two hours or so, and then it turned off. I tried to boot it back up and a few LEDs flickered on the case, followed by nothing. So I tried switching the plug it was plugged into, and nothing changed. Then I got nothing flickering on the case at all either, the computer just didn't turn on at all (or even try). I brought it back to the people that sold it to me, and had them look at it. They claimed it was a conflict between the motherboard and the video card. I brought it home after they changed it, and it ran for about half an hour and then the same thing happened again. It cut out and never came back on. Now, if I leave it sitting overnight unplugged, it'll boot up for like 15 minutes and then cut out again. I thought originally it was a problem with the power supply but they claim they checked it on a different machine. Has anyone had a problem like this? Is there something that immediately jumps to mind?

Thanks for whatever help/ideas you guys have. I'll be checking to answer questions if you have any.

P.S. This is with Windows 7 installed, but really it doesn't even get to load the OS at all.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:51 PM

I think you've been had, if you didn't buy this system from a reputable retailer.

Louis

#3 Tyrion

Tyrion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:10 PM

It's a reputable seller ;) I mean they're supposed to look after it and I won't have to pay for it. I just want to know if anyone has any ideas as to the problem. Eventually I'll just get my money back and do it through someone else if I have to. But I'm hoping it's something fixable.

#4 Larry D. Lawrence II

Larry D. Lawrence II

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:57 PM

Sorry to hear about your problem. What this sounds like to me is a thermal issue

This week, I had a client that was having random shutdowns and then the computer would not pass POST. He first thought that it might be the hard drive or the system board. But I knew it was probably a thermal issue. Thermal issues can cause a slew of problems. These can range from computers and notebooks unable to start to failed hard drives and even worse - a burnt CPU.

What I suspect is that the thermal compound may not have been applied correctly or even not at all (common with aftermarket heat sinks). Furthermore some system builders may forget to include a simple pc speaker in their build eliminating the single POST pass beep heard on all computers. If this is the case you would not hear overheat alarms either. A couple of things to check would be...

1. Open the side of the case and check that the processor/heat sink fan is running.
2. Check for the presence of a speaker connected to the motherboard by listing for a single beep when powering on the unit.
3. Remove the heat sink and ensure the thermal compound covers the die of the processor
4. Ensure no material is between the heat sink and processor other than thermal compound. (I have seen the plastic film protector left on the heat sink before)
5. Ensure proper mounting of the heat sink (i.e... heat sink clips pushed through the motherboard completely or screws tightened all the way.)

In order to prevent or correct these issues, it is important to keep the computer in an open, well-ventilated area. Enclosed areas are traps for heat not to mention dust and lint. The heat, dust, and grime will eventually make its way into the machine and wreak havoc on your fans and internal parts.

Larry D. Lawrence II
Larry D. Lawrence II
MCSE, MCP,ACMT, ACTC
Dell, HP, Toshiba, Apple, Lenovo, and IBM Certified Technician

#5 Tyrion

Tyrion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:32 AM

Thanks for the feedback Lawrence. I'll look into that. Could this kind of thing make it shut down at random times and then not power on at all though? And how long does something take to overheat enough to shut down on average? Thanks again.

#6 Larry D. Lawrence II

Larry D. Lawrence II

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:50 PM

From how you explained the symptoms it defiantly sounds thermal related to me. "Could this kind of thing make it shut down at random times and then not power on at all though?" you bet a computer will stop from powering on to prevent damage to the processor or other components as most Motherboard manufacturers place temperature sensors on the motherboard at different locations. "And how long does something take to overheat enough to shut down on average?" could be a couple of seconds to a 30 minuets
Larry D. Lawrence II
MCSE, MCP,ACMT, ACTC
Dell, HP, Toshiba, Apple, Lenovo, and IBM Certified Technician

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users