Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Finding a replacement Battery for a Sony VAIO VGN-FZ180E

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cap2587

cap2587

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:01 PM

I am trying to find a replacement battery for My Sony Vaio VGN-FZ 180N. I have found quite a few on ebay as seen in the below link.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=Sony+VAIO+VGN-FZ180E%2FB+&_trksid=p5197.c0.m627

However, they are all saying that the battery will not work if the computer is running windows 7. I am definitely wanting upgrade from Vista to W7. It's quite funny that each post on ebay has simple grammatical errors and all of their replies to my questions were the same.

What about this Battery: http://www.buy.com/prod/battery-for-sony-vaio-vgn-fz17-vgn-fz17g-vgn-fz17l-vgn-fz18-vgn-fz180e/q/loc/101/219129390.html

Can someone tell me if this is not going to work or there is a battery that will work with this Sony and W7. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:43 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Laptop-Battery-SONY-VAIO-VGN-FZ/dp/B003XX6M3A

I don't feel confident using eBay for routine retail computer hardware items, just my bias.

Louis

#3 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:05 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. The reviews look terrible for this battery. It also states in one of the reviews that this battery will not work with Windows 7. Do they still sell the original for this battery at Sony? I could not find it.

#4 Larry D. Lawrence II

Larry D. Lawrence II

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:39 PM

Always buy original batteries from the manufacturer.

Quoted from servicesales.sel.sony.com

If you cannot find the part or accessory that you are looking for, please Click Here to use our Accessory / Parts Research Form. Please allow three days for a response. If you need immediate assistance, please contact one of our customer service representatives, at 1-800-488-SONY (7669).

Hope this helps,
Larry D. Lawrence II
MCSE, MCP,ACMT, ACTC
Dell, HP, Toshiba, Apple, Lenovo, and IBM Certified Technician

#5 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:13 PM

I know they will charge $300-$400 for this battery and there is no way i am paying that money. I may take a chance and buy the ebay or amazon battery. Here is a workaround that hopefully will work.

http://forums.techarena.in/operating...tm#post4760562

Do you think this workaround will work? Thanks

#6 Larry D. Lawrence II

Larry D. Lawrence II

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:15 PM

I called Sony and the battery runs: $ 161.86 plus shipping and tax
the Part number sony give me was: A1317905A
hope this helps