Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Idle Process help..

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Expendable_Y0uth

Expendable_Y0uth

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 01 August 2011 - 04:03 PM

I did some research before I came here.. and from what I understand that a high % is good. But what I don't understand is why when I'm watching a youtube video it starts slowing down and playing extremely slow.. I open the task manager and it says that Firefox is using 20-25%, while system idle is using 75-80%. So my question is why isn't my computer using more for Firefox to make it so it doesn't slow down? Also, I pause and let the video load before I play it so its not my connection, the video is already completely loaded.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 01 August 2011 - 04:13 PM

The numbers you are talking about are the percentage of the cpu each process uses. The System Idle Process shows you how much of the processor is NOT being used - in other words, free cycles. When any other process uses a high number it means there is less cpu power for anything else. So if Firefox is using 25% it means Firefox is working hard and taxing the cpu. The system will, accordingly, slow down.

#3 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 631 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 05:48 PM

What he said.
I'll say, I've had problems in the past with firefox eating up resources when I did certain things. There were times when firefox would get STUCK being a hog no matter how many tabs I closed and I'd have to basically shut down and restart firefox to resolve it.
That said, I've also found that keeping everything you can up to date often helps. The latest version of firefox and making sure that things like java and flash are all up to date.
I still have issues with firefox once in a while but it's usually when I have a LOT of tabs open for a long time, especially playing dumb games on facebook and such. It hasn't been as bad since I've kept it all up to date better.

#4 USN Vet

USN Vet

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2011 - 02:28 AM

The more addons you have in Firefox, the slower it gets.
Feel free to ignore my comment, just another user !

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 09 August 2011 - 06:33 AM

We're talking about cpu usage

#6 Nicholas Basso

Nicholas Basso

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:01 PM

The problem is probably in terms of specifications.

While Firefox is only pulling 25-30% CPU usage, that's likely because that's really all it needs. Having your System Idle usage high means the system will still be responsive.

So, the question then becomes: Why is the video playback slow and choppy?

We first look into software versions: Are you running the latest Flash that your OS (I presume 98 or ME) can handle? How about Firefox? Have you tried this with IE? (I know, I know, scary viruses and spyware, but it is to see WHERE the slowness is occurring!)

Next, we look into hardware capabilities: What kind of CPU are you running? Are you running a very slow low-powered graphics card, which cannot handle Flash trying to do hardware acceleration (which it will try to do whenever possible)? How much Memory do you have? 98/ME can use low amounts of RAM, but the corresponding performance may be too low to be usable.

#7 dETAIL

dETAIL

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 18 October 2011 - 06:45 PM

So not just focusing on processor...but also RAM...For example, if you have had Firefox open for a while it continues to eat away and consume more RAM...if your machine is using up all your RAM, then it starts to swap...meaning using your hard drive space as RAM and then things get much slower...check how you're doing on the memory side of things...and definitely like Nicholas said, make sure you have the latest of everything installed, specifically flash.

Oh and also make sure when you're looking at system resources that you are viewing all resources not just ones that you are running but that are running on the entire system.

#8 lti

lti

• Members
  • 592 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 05 November 2011 - 04:34 PM

The computer can't be running Windows 98 because it doesn't show System Idle Process in the Task Manager. Windows ME might use a similar Task Manager to Windows 2000 or later, but a computer that came from the factory with Windows ME doesn't have a fast enough CPU to play Flash video with only 25% CPU usage.

#9 Yiddish

Yiddish

• Banned Spammer
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:32 AM

We're talking about cpu usage

Yup! really, i too affected with this Firefox by using more number of addons.

#10 4dude

4dude

• Members
  • 578 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:50 AM

The computer can't be running Windows 98 because it doesn't show System Idle Process in the Task Manager.

Thats true.... However if you have PROCESS EXPLORER,you can then see the idle process...

Right now mine is at 83.41 (Jumping around)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users